Badly Designed Light Fittings

Richlist

Am I the only person who is annoyed at light fitting designers/ manufacturers ? They just can't seem to understand that LOW ENERGY light bulbs just don't fit neatly in their products.

Conventional bulbs look ok but current low energy bulb design means they are slightly larger so they stick out further and look rubbish.

Im now resigned to buying fittings in Germany where they seem to have got it right.

Uk lights are really very poor.

I thought you could buy the smaller energy saving bulbs RL? That is what I use. The long bulbs from 10 years ago are or are being phased out I thought.

This very timely as I have an electrician in a my 'to be holiday let'. Converted in 1986 the fuse board is already not illegal but not the best.

I bought 2 bathroom light fittings for zone 1 use, from Screwfix and the other from John Lewis. Both take an E27 bulb which Lecky pointed out is only 40 watts. He suggested LED spots with guaranteed lifespan of 15 Years and bright lights with low power usage and safe for bath/shower room so I'm going for it. LED has to be the way forwards

Whilst I'm typing this I'm in a queue 25 minutes (allegedly) waiting to speak to a British Gas person about a tenant check out. If I had accepted their landlord/letting agent option I would be waiting 40 minutes. Aren't they wonderful!

That's ok if you want led spots. I have some of those in specific locations and they look good in bathrooms.

But I don't want them in other locations. I want attractive light fittings but the led bulbs don't fit well in most of them.

I've had led bulbs stop working way before the end of their projected lifespan.

RL - Be patient! If the last few years are anything to go by, LEDs are developing into mainstream use very rapidly. And also lighting design is catching up to meet the style of LED bulbs. Bulbs look ridiculous? Do we actually look at them after the first few minutes?

Bulbs look ridiculous ?....well yes, here's why. Low energy bulbs are longer, so they project further and totally change the look of some light fittings. .... to the point where I cannot live with them and now need to get replacements

How come the Germans can get it right but in the UK we can't ?

I have changed all the bulbs in our present residence and our holiday let to LED bulbs which I am very pleased with and they look like light bulbs not those terrible pronged fluorescent things that have to heat up to give off a decent light . The ones I used were from a seller on Ebay called smartshine and the were about 60 pence each compared to B&Q wanting £7.50 each , they do two types Daylight white and smooth white , the daylight light white we find a bit "glare y" .They do normal bulbs and candle style bulbs also .

Have EPC assesors got an understanding of LED efficiency yet?

It was a few years ago when I was having my properties doenbut the assessor didn't have a clue and couldn't rate them.

Since LED have been developed to be far more efficient.

Their efficiency (and output) varies widely and some cheap Chinese stuff will be far less so than others (still from China likely as not).

Led efficiency is only economically relevant if life expectancy of the led bulbs is taken into effect.

Example....take a bathroom that has

6 x 50w GU10's = 300w x 365 days = 109.5 Kw @ 12p per unit = £13.14 running cost per year

Vs

6 led's x 5w = 30w x 365 days = 10.9 Kw @ 12p per unit =

£1.31 running cost per year

Difference £11.82

6 led bulbs @ £9 each = £54

Therefore....Led bulbs need to last 4.5 years or 1642 hours to break even.

Note: I've had led's that have failed in less than 4.5 years.

RL - Yes, LED life must be taken into effect. Today's good LEDs should last 20 to 25 years. When you bought yours they may not have been so well developed.

Your calculation I think assumes 1 hour use per day. (Consumption cost (12p) is for 1 kWh unit of energy, not kilowatts X days.) For 2 hours per day your saving would be double and break even for LEDs of 1/10th power then only 2.25 years.

1. My 'example' assumed the bathroom lights would be on for 1 hour per day. Therefore my calculations are correct. For bathrooms 1 hour per day average is probably more realistic than 2 hours per day.

2. I exchanged my 50w GU10's for 5w led's 3 years ago and was happy with the comparison in terms of colour and brightness so I think my comparison is valid.

3. I've had x2 led bulbs 'blow' when less than 3 years old.

I agree fitting led's is the way to go BUT there are NOT suitable led's for some light fittings.

My x2 recommendations are.....

I) Buying good quality named brands of led bulb, although more expensive, is likely to result in longer bulb life.

II) Make sure you keep the receipt so you can get a refund or replacement when the bulb doesn't last as long as expected.

Archived