Turning homes into smarthomes

CP87

Hi all.

A little bit about myself, my name is Cameron and I'm new to this but I'm hoping to be a regular contributor to this forum. So, as for my first contribution, here is a great article I came across. It's 5 ways to turn your home into a smarthome, without spending a fortune... What do you guys think? And are there any genius inventions/innovations that any of you have had experience with that you think transforms your home into a smart home? Also, do you think this kind of stuff is a bit futuristic or does it have a place amongst common households?

Article Link: http://iq.intel.co.uk/5-ways-to-turn-your-home-into-a-smarthome-without-spending-a-fortune/

Personally I just don't see any of those products finding there way into my homes any time soon.

There has to be either a financial or functional incentive and there just aren't any.

I'm left with the same impression I get when I look at some of the colour brochures included in weekend newspapers. They are also trying to sell me stuff I really don't need.

Perhaps designers should start with a 'wants' list as the car industry does.....instead of trying to redesign perfectly good devices. Top of my wants list would be battery devices that 1. last more than 3/4 years and 2. rechargeable batteries that are cheaper to replace.

Me too. I was interested in this.............

"By replacing your existing receiver box and wireless thermostat, these systems give you the ability to set and control your home’s heating over the Internet".

Nothing but trouble and I can go as far to say that we had one customer ask to have it removed and to go back to a simple wired rotating dial mechanical thermostat.

If anyone would like to buy it off me I have it here sitting in a box. :D

The people that these appeal to are....I call them techno geeks. We all know at least one. They have to have the latest untried, & untested product offering that doesn't make financial sense or improve their quality of life. Perhaps they are overly susceptible to the glossy marketing techniques.

You know the way these things go.....as soon as you buy the latest available another, better, improved and cheaper one will be in the shops making yours obsolete.......we see it all the time with mobile phones.

I'm sticking with storage heaters.....they may be 1970/80'S technology but they do what is expected of them and last a lot longer than any new replacement gizmo.

Sorry about the late reply, was the website down for anyone else yesterday? I couldn't access this post at all! But anyway, perhaps you are right, maybe simplicity is good... I just thought some of the gadgets that were on that article were kind of cool. Like controlling your heating when you're not in the house, and only heating some rooms at a time, but thanks for your replies ^_^

Yes the system was down for me yesterday.

I have never needed to control my heating when I'm not at home. I either turn everything off before I leave (usually in the summer) or turn it down as I leave (usually in the winter). I cannot possibly envisage a scenario where I would need to control my heating by mobile phone.

One can control the heating in selected rooms by using existing cheaper technology.....When I find something that works I will only change if there is a financial or functional incentive. There isn't either in this case.

Some years ago I installed a Heatmiser system for the CH.

In truth it's not all Heatmiser as the zone valves are Danfoss, but you get my drift.

While we can go around adjusting TRV's with laziness and forgetfulness it doesn't really happen. So the saving is that while, for example, I'm alone and working in the office that's the only room heated.

All stats are set to switch down (as with programmables they're never really off) at least a couple of times late evening. If we get cool, in say the lounge, switch back up and the next down will catch it when we're off to bed.

Selective zones pre warm in the mornings.

I've stayed away from wireless systems as with a bit of hard wiring what as I see as extra nuisance is avoided. I just used 6 core alarm cable to each stat and that's good for 12v supply, switching and network comms.

I have 2 wiring centres, each 8 zone. The reason is to separate the CH from what I, one day, intend to be a light control. So the Heatmiser central control can timer operate security lights and even some table lamps to make the place look active when it's not.

I have considered the remote access via the net but really when I'm away forgetting as much as I've left behind is desirable, lazily adjusting comfort levels from a smart phone, as a remote, might be nice. The stat isn't that far way though.

Yes the system was down for me yesterday.

I have never needed to control my heating when I'm not at home. I either turn everything off before I leave (usually in the summer) or turn it down as I leave (usually in the winter). I cannot possibly envisage a scenario where I would need to control my heating by mobile phone.

One can control the heating in selected rooms by using existing cheaper technology.....When I find something that works I will only change if there is a financial or functional incentive. There isn't either in this case.

Do you think it would be a good idea to implement this system for my tenants? My tenants tend to be University students who pay a standard rate (including bills). I think if I fitted a system like that in for them it would be beneficial both ways. They tend to go home over holiday breaks (and a lot of the time they leave the heating on and I have to foot the bill), so would it not be a good idea to have a heating system like that in which I can turn off the heating when they're away for long-ish periods of time instead of visiting each property individually? saving me both time and money..

Would it be a good idea for your tenants ?

Your tenants probably couldn't care less because whatever the energy cost, you pay the bills. So, no I don't think it will be beneficial for them.

Is it a good idea for you/landlords in your situation ?

Possibly. Provided the cost of the technology is less than the energy cost saving and provided your tenants tell you when the place is empty ?

Wouldn't it be easier for you to have a local key holder who can let themselves in and turn heating off when place is empty.

Suggesting that you control your tenants heating is probably an invasion of their privacy. As a landlord I too like things that won't break and cost lots of money to replace, repair or find are not compatible with whoever is moving it. I also don't fancy being an IT helpdesk to tenants who just don't 'get' it. I have one who I already programme the rather simple hot water timer for, but that is done and no need to repeat, I dread to think how they would cope with something so techie. The smartlock - now that sounds interesting to avoid locked out tenants etc, but as with cars now getting stolen digitally I think I would still want an old fashioned lock on the door and don't think I could prove to my insurance company yet that the property was really that secure with a bluetooth controlled lock.

Funny enough I have just, in the last 3 months, provided a mechanical Smiths time controller for hot water tank in an all electric flat I have.

Don't ask :D It had been like this for 20 years :D Nobody has ever asked for one in the 8 years I have had this flat.

So I showed the tenant the very simple peg and insert into hole for time periods for on/off and left an instruction sheet as well.

Yep! sure enough a phone call 3 weeks later could I possibly alter the time periods as he was confused..........

Imagine a state of the art remote controlled time switch.

Keep it simple is the key word here ..........and they don't get much more simple than what I installed.

The hot water tanks in my all electric flats run on cheap, dual rate meters (day = rate 1, night = rate 2), have tank thermostat set at 60 deg and lots of tank insulation. This together with a manual override switch is all my tenants will ever get...none have ever asked for anything else.

What tends to be the norm in my flat is that most tenant's past and present use the electric shower and no baths.They heat the hot water from the tank top electric element now on a time switch on a time switch to save money by not heating the large water content lower part of the water tank.

There are no storage radiators in the flat just wall heater's. Nobody has complained about high bills probably because the flat is insulated, when built, to gold standard insulation.

At my gas check / annual service a few weeks ago, serviceman asked why hot water timer set to Off. Tenant replied he only uses electric shower, and, I presume, kettle for washing up. That seems an economical way of life. I did request him to periodically flush all hot taps to minimise Legionnaire hazard in unused standing water, ....but let's not go there again.

Archived