Funding for Free Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms in the Private Rented Sector

pdavidson

A £3million fund announced by the Fire Minister on the 19th March to support the delivery of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to homes in the Private Rented Sector means that local fire and rescue authorities across England will receive alarms to distribute to those properties who do not already have them in situ.
A total of 445,000 smoke alarms and 40,000 carbon monoxide alarms will be available free of charge through the funding.
More information here:

WHY ?????

does the government think it necessary to spend tax payers money providing smoke/ CO alarms to landlords in the private rented sector ? Landlords should be expected to fund the costs of the items themselves.....they are not expensive.

What an appalling waste of money at a time when there is little to spare.

If the Governments Fire minister is reading this criticism please contact me for an explanation of why the country can't afford this £3 Million.

I sort of agree.

Our local council sent a tradesman who bullied my t to gain access to the flat.

He then removed my perfectly good smoke detector to install a new one 12 inches away on the same ceiling. Two holes left from screws for me to repair.

Totally pointless, but I rolled with it as it was easier to repair than take the effort to complain.

Mind the tradesman gets paid for the waste, I get charged for maintenance- result I'm taxed again but the tax is wasted.

I dont think this anything new , when we went for flu jabs 2 or 3 years ago they had a representative from the fire brigade by the door of the school hall where the flu jab production line was , he asked if we had a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide alarm , I said yes to both but the insisted on making an appointment to check them ,they replaced both FOC with a fire brigade approved type.

Am I right in assuming you were receiving flu jabs because you were over 65 years of age? If so, I kind of think that providing them free to people of state retirement age is ok.

What's not ok is providing them at tax payers expense to private landlords who can, could, should be able to pay themselves.

I just ordered 10 co2s from Screwfix complete with batteries - as my gas engineers go around doing yearly inspections the plan is to get them to install the co2s

There is no way I am letting any council numpty drill holes in any of my properties - but I don't let to benefit tenants.

I shall carry on and do my own purchasing and fitting. At least I know it's been done correctly and it's all tax deductable expenditure anyway.

Archived