fair wear and tear etc.

chickpea

Tenant moved out on Monday, we attended check out inspection with LA yesterday.

1/ tenant had left an overflowing wheely bin and 3 bags of rubbish outside the house.

2/ the large garden shed was full of large cardboard packaging from flat pack furniture.

3/ a child had drawn in biro on a small area of wallpaper and on the wooden fire surround.

4/ there is an 8 inch v-shaped tear in the kitchen vinyl floor, where the washing machine was presumably dragged out.

5/ kitchen blind pull cord is broken

6/ there is a stain in an area of about a foot square on the bedroom carpet that smells of cat origin.

7/ the bathroom is dirty - the toilet had excrement marks in it, everything was grubby and some parts were filthy.

8/ the kitchen was grubby. Food and grease splashes on the walls, oven door filthy.

The irony is that the keys to the property were left at the agency by the tenant's cleaner.

Now, I know that wear and tear is inevitable, so perhaps much of the above needs to be sucked up by us.

Is there anything in the list that you would consider deducting from the deposit for?

The tenancy was 7 months long and was to a single male, no pets.

Some of it can Tracey but you need to put your list to your LA who can contact the tenant and ask him what he is prepared to do about it. He can either pay to clear up the points raised..... or do it himself.

The cleaner needs to be taken to task as well but that is between your ex tenant and the cleaner who was obviously paid to undertake the work and clearly failed to do a proper job.

Do let us know Tracey!

As a DIY landlord (no agent), I would have probably swallowed a list like this as not worth hassle to pursue. I will be interested to read results of how successfully your LA supports these issues for you.

Will do.

I was ready to go in and clean today, but grudgingly, since the place was absolutely pristine when it was let.

The cardboard has been in the shed since the week he moved in - I found the delivery docket.

The bins go on a Monday - he moved out on Monday, so not sure what the problem was there.

Had he actually mentioned any of the issues, such as the damage to the vinyl, I might have felt more kindly towards him. But since he didn't, and since he left clear evidence of his unauthorised cat(s) ownership - in the form of scratched doors, stained carpet and empty cat food boxes - I'm quite happy for the agent to press the matter.

I'm a DIY landlord as well ie no agent managing the property and I'd make the following comments:

1. I always provide my tenants with a letter detailing what is required of them when they move out. I've copied that letter below......you might find it useful. Of course there is no guarantee the tenant will do whats requested but.....you can try . I find the letter takes care of many of your items.....certainly the rubbish and dirty kitchen & bathroom.

2. Vinyl flooring is often at risk of tearing from white goods being moved in and out and in my opinion is only suitable for rented property if the landlord is prepared to accept a degree of damage from time to time. It can be extremely difficult to move heavy items, such as washing machines, in & out without tearing unless you do it regularly.....which tenants don't.

3. Children drawing on things is regrettable but almost inevitable.......permanent marker felt pens are worse than biro. Do what I do and don't accept people with kids ......or there will often be damage.

4. Small things like broken blind pull cord are to be expected.....I don't usually make a fuss over them.

5. I ALWAYS remind outgoing tenants that I will not accept a dirty cooker. I tell them that gone are the days when I clean cookers for outgoing tenants. I point out that if the cooker isn't spotlessly clean I will have no hesitation in getting an oven cleaning company in to do the job and the cost (min £50) WILL be deducted from their deposit. OK I know its likely to be something of an idle threat but they don't know that and its always worked for me........try it.

Here's the letter......the formatting may need adjusting:

Your name & address

Date

IMPORTANT - This letter contains important information for the return of your deposit.

Dear XXXXX,

Re: End of Your Tenancy Agreement for XXXXXXRental Address.

Thank you for notifying us today that you wish to end your tenancy of rental address. The earliest your tenancy can end is XXXXX date 2013. This letter is to advise you how you should leave the property when you move out.

1. Its important that you leave the property in a clean & tidy condition. General wear & tear is accepted but any damage, breakages, missing items or anything that is not clean may result in a deduction from your deposit. If you are unsure then please contact us. Its important that the property is handed back to us in a condition that is suitable for new tenant(s) to move in immediately. We prefer to return complete deposits as this means we have had no work to do.

You should ensure that the whole of the property is clean including (but not only):-

• Carpets.

• Curtains.

• Lampshades/ light fittings.

• All kitchen equipment including walls & tiles.

• All bathroom equipment.

• Windows.

• Any marks on walls, woodwork, door frames, skirting boards etc have been cleaned off.

• Any mirrors or glass have been cleaned.

• All light bulbs & smoke detectors are working.

• The oven & hob are clean.

• The fridge is defrosted (please ensure water from fridge does not run onto floor & damage kitchen units/ floor coverings).

• Any soft furnishings supplied have been cleaned, this includes- shower curtains & net curtains & floor mats.

• Anything else that has been provided & that you will hand back to the landlord.

2. Your deposit is held within the Tenancy Deposit Scheme operated by XXXXXX complete as necessary. Payment of all or part of the deposit will normally be made within 10 working days of the end of the tenancy.

3. Please ensure you provide us with a forwarding address.

4. If you have changed the electricity/ gas supplier you must provide the details. Currently our records show XXXXXXXX as the supplier. Please advise us if this is NOT correct.

5. You must also ensure that :

• All instruction books are left at the property.

• All the keys are returned.

• You have contacted the utilities: Electric, Gas, Water, Sewerage & Council Tax.

• You have made a note of the meter readings.

• You dispose of all rubbish before you leave.

• You have removed all of your personal belongings.

• Note: Royal Mail can redirect your mail for a charge, for up to one year……but we are happy to forward your mail on to your new address for a week or two.

6. When you leave, turn OFF all electrical appliances, ensure all doors & windows are locked and post your keys through the letterbox.

If you are unsure of anything, please contact us.

Yours sincerely

Your name & address

I provide ply wood floor plates, 600mm x 600mm, for the machines to be stood on. There is a spare provided for a machine to be slid onto before lifting. This is explained to Ts at move in, it's a shame that many are unable to comply.

At the end of a tenancy, that is when I definitely have repossession I inspect On the final statement there will be the resultant rental balance and all defects listed with a value to each.

I send 2 out, 1 to T and 1 to G'tor. I follow up a few weeks or so later with the threat of county court for recovery. I no longer take deposits, I no longer do formal check ins. I would pursue for any unpaid rents as that is easily demonstrable but realise that I would get no where with the other claims as sympathy invariably is with the T even where formalities are complied with, and any recompense is unlikley to be worth the effort. My threats against the G'tor are where a result is most likely.

Once I have repossession I view that getting works done and re letting is the best way forward. Most T's are incapable of doing as needed anyway.

Thanks all.

Richlist - the agent sent out what I believe to be a similar letter to the tenant several weeks ago. The tenancy was based on him only, with his children visiting - even if this hadn't been the case, is it really realistic to imagine that no child will ever visit a rental property that was let to adults only? That said, I have 2 children myself and they never drew on walls or furniture - maybe I was lucky?

There has never been damage to the vinyl from previous tenants moving out, but the idea of putting boards for white goods to stand on seems a sensible one. As I said, had the tenant bothered to mention the damage, I would have felt more favourable towards him.

The cat stains (poo or pee) and the damage to the door, and the other cleaning issues will be an issue for the TDS.

Apparently, the tenant is going to remove the various forms of rubbish this weekend.

Mortitia - yes, we are very glad he's gone. Can you believe he had the cheek to call the agent, on spotting the property for re-let on Rightmove, and ask why we wanted him out??

The tenancy was based on him only, with his children visiting - even if this hadn't been the case, is it really realistic to imagine that no child will ever visit a rental property that was let to adults only?

I always ask the applicants how many persons & who will be moving into the property and if they have children or will have children staying on a regular basis. If the answer is yes then it really depends on their ages. The older the children the less likelihood of them drawing on walls & furniture and its up to you to make a judgement as to wether that's acceptable to you.

That said, I have 2 children myself and they never drew on walls or furniture - maybe I was lucky?

Maybe you were lucky but your one experience doesn't mean all children will be/do the same. Children, like animals, present an increased risk. Its your choice to accept that increased risk.

There has never been damage to the vinyl from previous tenants moving out,........

That's good. My point is that irrespective of what has or hasn't happened in the past, vinyl flooring is likely to get torn occasionally and if there is a better alternative, its worth considering. It doesn't stop you from claiming a replacement from the tenant.

The cat stains (poo or pee) and the damage to the door, and the other cleaning issues will be an issue for the TDS.

Good luck with that. Personally I wouldn't attempt to make a claim from TDS. I would always assume I'd loose or fail to get my claim paid in full. I'd go through the small claims route on the basis of there being more chance of success.

It's not all bad Tracey. I have just been to one of my properties for a 4 month check over and it was immaculate and this is a family with 1 child and a very well behaved dog. So there are good people out there.

I did my homework thoroughly though before renting to them and it was a question of people judgement really plus RL's tenant's list....... modified to suit.

They asked permission to decorate their Daughter's bedroom which was permitted by me and I have to say they have made a total professional job of it.......very nice.

The good thing they are going to be long term tenant's and they have no desire to purchase their own property and for them this was a key factor in renting from me.

Someone's missing a trick here......tenants that good should be able to negotiate a significant discount on their rent. Truth is they probably don't know that.

I've got a few tenants that fall into that category......including 1 who's been there 15 years, another 11 years.

* Both get big rent discounts.

* Both have had their deposits returned in full.

* Both get free use of my holiday home in Spain.

* I even get them something nice at Xmas.

That's all designed to make any attempt by them to move somewhere else (where they wouldn't necessarily get any of that) as difficult as possible.

Seems to be working.

Someone's missing a trick here......tenants that good should be able to negotiate a significant discount on their rent. Truth is they probably don't know that.

That's all designed to make any attempt by them to move somewhere else (where they wouldn't necessarily get any of that) as difficult as possible.

Seems to be working.

Yes, my Tenant's do get a rental price discount........and they know it as well which is why they stay but more importantly they know that they are looked after without being in their face all the time.

As mentioned the trick is to make sure your prospective tenant passes through the tenant checks which sometimes LA's chasing their monthly commission targets don't always strictly adhere to but in their defence I do know that if I use my LA I am fairly confident they will look after my interests ( not all LA'S are the same ).

I do prefer to do my own tenant sourcing and paperwork though because that way I am in control of events.

Archived