PRINTERS

Richlist

The Mail on Sunday today have an article on the exhorbitant cost of printer ink.

As I will be replacing my printer soon & the press article is inconclusive I wondered if anyone has any recommendations or is aware of any comparative study of printer running costs ?

It seems that buying a printer based just on a cheaper purchase price can be a false economy as many manufacturers sell at a loss & make their profits from the subsequent sales of printer ink/ cartridges.

I saw that article as well.

Though I cant recommend a certain printer I believe it is a lot cheaper to get one with the four individual colour cartridges.

Also be aware of using copy cartridges in your printer during the warranty period as it will register it on the software and can invalidate the warranty.

Toner graphics I have always found to be very competitive on price for original and copy cartridges and will beat the prices if you get it cheaper else where.

http://www.tonergraphics.co.uk/

I have used laser colour printers for a few years now, initial layout for both printer and toner cartridges is way higher, but unless you are a massive user you just install tham and forget about them. Forget the onscreen warnings about replacing the toner cartridge as well, mine has been coming on for about 3 months now, still printing.

No good for photo quality printing. Excellent for all office based stuff.

Current one is an HP laserjet 200, use it on the wireless network, excellent machine.

Dave

I refill my own cartridges. Canon printer. Must have saved a small fortune over the pass 5 years especially on black ink when you have print off dozens of pages for contracts, inventories and DPS etc.

Thanks for the responses. The Mail on Sunday article went into detail as to the sorts of tricks that some manufacturers play:

* Sell the printer at a loss and make their profits on subsequent ink/ cartridge replacement.

* Have the printer run regular/ unnecessary printer head cleaning programs that use ink up.

* Build triggers into the software that tells the user the printer is out of ink when it isn't.

* Additional triggers will tell the user the cartridge is empty based on the number of prints made & not on ink levels.

* etc etc.

Perhaps I can also check if ''Which' has run a comparative test recently.

It seems to me that most of the people replying have no idea how their printer performs compared to the competition.....i.e. how their ink consumption compares, how their running costs compare etc. Like me they have a printer that works, are reasonably happy with it and the ink is just a few pounds to replace now & again.

In the last complete tax year (2013/14) I spent £66 on printer ink. Not much I suppose when you deduct the tax savings......so perhaps I should keep my current printer for a while longer.

My Canon printer is 7 years old and has worked hard. My black ink costs about £10 a year self- filling by me. Don't use colour very much.

I will look into HP's £1.99 a month for continuous ink supply as this on the face of it seems very reasonable to me.

I will look into HP's £1.99 a month for continuous ink supply as this on the face of it seems very reasonable to me.

Thanks for the info'......I didn't know about that offer so, will now take a look at the details.

I guess the big question then is .... at what price have HP set the printer. After all, they have to make a profit somewhere and if its not from ink sales....!

Been looking at the Epson Eco Tank L355 & L555 printers but the following article suggests its a rather foolish / expensive choice :-

http://printercartridgesinkuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/eco-tank-l355-and-l555-printer-nothing.html

Seems Melboy has the right idea with refilling his cartridges.

Seems Melboy has the right idea with refilling his cartridges.

It is easy to do as well, well, it is on my Canon Pixma 160. I think Youtube do a video on cartridge filling for a lot of the common use printer's.

I had a Brother printer/fax bought in Dubai that lasted 10 years of daily use - re-filled the cartridges with Tesco ink. Recommend wearing surgeon type gloves during process. It died after a software malfunction.

Now got a pair of Canons (one home, one office) that run lovely on cheap Ebay cartridges - found the Tesco ink leaked in the Canon cartridges.

Anything HP has always been a disaster in our house and this £1.99 thing sounds suitably suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Electronic transfer and storage of documents would cut your printing costs right down!

I much rather you said COULD.....not would.

Doesn't it rather depends on wether you ACTUALLY need a paper copy.

Personally I rarely print a copy just to file it away.

So no, I don't think electronic transfer & storage is the solution for me.

The solution for me would be a reasonably priced printer with low running costs.

Good point RL. I've just tried using Dropbox to show damage to a flat using 25 photos sent to tenant and DPS. Took 5 goes to get it all in place then ex tenant moaned she could not access it on her smart phone!

Online comment said how BT Cloud can slow you system down but raved about Dropbox.

I like paper.

By the word toner do you mean printer ink ?

If so the toner is NOT cheap.

You may be able to buy cut price cartridges & refills but that doesn't make them cheap......just cheaper than normal retail prices.

Printer ink is the one liquid that is more expensive than perfume or aftershave per millelitre.

Archived