N.L.A

kerbut

I would say it is very advisable for every private landlord who doesn't use a agent to join a landlord organisation at some time. I would say the same for agents also.

How else can you keep up to date with all the changes in law and best practices and tips. Other than using this site of course.

How else can you keep up to date with all the changes in law and best practices and tips. Other than using this site of course.

Well, that exactly it Grampa, there is so much to be learnt from the various forums, Landlord zone website ,Tessa Shepperson @Landlord Law etc , I wondered it if it is worth it ,I am pretty well up to speed on the rules and regulations and if I dont know will as the question on a forum.

Edit to add : I belong to a local "Landlords Club" which is run by our local district council (I think its just the councils way to win landlords to take benefit tenants , didnt work here ) and I am now an accredited Landlord as I am a member of the "club" which is affiliated to NLA

I think membership would be a big help for new landlords as I suspect it offers lots of good advice and benefits such as forms & legal support etc......but I'd really like a list of the benefits of joining.

Many of us here are seasoned landlords who have been round the block a few times and I'd need to be convinced that the (tax deductible) membership fees were going to provide a worthwhile return.

And.....before anyone suggests that I'm just being arrogant..... none of us know all the answers and I still learn something new almost every week but that in itself is just not a sufficient reason to join the NLA.

I think the only free bit is :

That’s why we are making our approved tenancy agreements (which cover England, Wales and Scotland available to you for free), along with the other sample forms and letters which a landlord may need during the life cycle of a tenancy.

Which we all have already .

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a member!

It's only £98 a year to be a member, and once you are there is an enormous amount of reliable advice and assistance available to you. There are also discounts for a whole variety of products landlords need from rent insurance to legal advice.

One benefit of membership I regularly use (although I'm not sure if it might be available via other routes to non-members) is their extremely comprehensive search engine for buy-to-let mortgages. I always use that resource to sort out my mortgages. It's free, and you even get a cash incentive each time you take a mortgage out that has been sourced through that route (usually between £80 to £250, so that, by itself, easily covers the yearly membership fee). Every time I have used it I have had access to all the best rates (which I’ve checked with independent mortgage brokers), so you'll be saving money there too.

One final benefit of being a member is the collective political influence. As membership of the NLA has grown so too has its political influence, and that alone I think makes it worth every 9800 pence of its membership! As landlords, we need to stick together and stand up for our interests (especially when we are always blamed by certain sections of the media for everything from providing slum conditions to increasing house prices at the expense of first time buyers). The NLA is an excellent association for that purpose. For that reason alone every landlord in the country should be a member!

Well does it have any political influence?

Often on TV news items the head of the NLA is briefly interviewed not covering the main issues that affect most of us and that is it.

He is just a suit and probably an estate or letting agent! Not exactly at the grass roots of landlordism. (Spellcheck does not like that word.)

I don't see this government taking a lot of notice of anything let alone landlords having to deal with fey judges and laws on the matter.

One final benefit of being a member is the collective political influence.

Can you name three (3) advantages for Landlords that have been achieved by the NLA through political influence ?

'erm? No I can't. So no surprise there then.

Do these count?

http://www.landlords.org.uk/about-nla/aims-achievements

I know it’s only the NLA singing their own praises (and it also looks a little out of date!), but there is a wider point and that is landlords need some form of collective presence. So far the NLA is the only one we have. Without the NLA we are left as individuals commenting on internet forums about negative, misinformed or hostile comments in the press which no one in Government or the wider public will ever hear, let alone listen to.

The NLA is not perfect, but it’s an important step in the right direction. Its membership is steadily growing year on year and if we all get involved we can help the NLA become the pressure group and representative body we want and need.

I heard David Lammy in a radio interview yesterday (he’s a Labour MP in London and now a candidate for London Mayor in 2016). His views on housing really do need to be challenged and an effective way of doing that is through organisations like the NLA. Fortunately I’m also a London resident so I can at least put one vote against him should he become the official labour candidate.

I can't think of one thing over the years that has improved the lot/life of being a landlord. It has all been about more and more legistlation some good...... most bad.

The problem is like everything else in life it is the minority that spoil it for the majority and so it is with bad minority landlords.

This Government and any other Government wouldn't give two hoots about any organisation that was against their proposals and future legistlation.

Archived