Meter readings for services etc

Julian_S

Looking for the accepted best practise here.

I've a couple of flats that the agents act as 'find only' for tenants for me.

When tenants come and go what do you do regarding electricity meter readings? I have no bother with the council who I phone and inform them of tenants names - they seem grateful, similarly United Utilities (water) are also fine.

However EON are a bloody nuisance, once when I phoned them to inform them the flat was empty the idiots cancelled the last tenant's account and sent the bill to me - that got dropped but not before making a complaint. Now with a new tenant moved in they refused to take a meter reading from me and would not say if they had his details. (data protection)

I'm only trying to make things run smoothly and stop a tenant running off (say) after 6 months having not paid anything, but end up creating needless work so it would appear. What am I doing wrong and what should I be doing please?

Julian

You should contact all of the utilities (council tax, gas, electric, water & sewerage) providing dates, tenant details & meter readings when new tenants move in & when tenants move out. Any other services such as telephone, broadband, cable or satellite installations etc should be left to the tenants to organise.

You can contact the utilities by telephone or do as I do and send an email.... I've never had a problem with any of the electricity suppliers.

Same as RL, but I've always used letters to ensure I have filed readings and dates. I haven't tried email or phone for this yet - I've found those methods so unreliable for my own home, I wouldn't risk for tenancy.

My letter re. incoming tenant start reading includes request to bill difference to me (at my address) even if only a few pence - when I've used elec or gas for cleaning and maintenance during void. Honesty is always appreciated by utility companies.

I also inform outgoing and incoming tenants of my procedure - so they have due notice of any future contact by utility companies. If, for example, outgoing fails to provide forwarding address to pass on to utility, utility will take responsibility for overdue accounts without involving landlord, provided you have informed of tenants' departure date and final reading.

Failure to do this adequately can result in incoming tenant accidently receiving cut-off threat. It has happened!

Dont even go there , I had a bill sent to me last Friday for £3005.40 for unpaid council tax by West Dorset District Council,I quickly phoned them to say that we informed them 2 years ago of the new tenants details and it was nothing to do with us ,strange when the bill arrived it was accompanied with the exemption certificate finishing the day before the tenancy started. The girl on the phone could not understand what happened there.

Archived