Useless ground rent collection company - Home Ground

Julian_S

What do you think:

For almost two years now. Homeground have been chasing me for ground rent for one of my appartments, even though I have paid them in a timely manner.

I have emailed them every time I have sent payments, emailed them every time they send a demand and never get a reply (the internet is full of woes regarding this company) I get read receipts from them ''we endeavour to reply within 2 working days bla bla bla'' yet they never do. I have even sent them a recorded delivery letter detailing the payments I have made.

Recently they engaged the services of debt collection solicitors who demanded the money + interest + late payment fees + legal fees. I informed them of all the payments I had made and after a lengthy pregnany pause have acknowleded that I made the payments and dropped all the ''extras.''

Obviously the inevitable result. However I've spend a fair while sending emails, providing prooof of payments and sending recorded delivery mail, so should I invoice them for time and effort - or is that just being silly? What goes around comes around, as they say!

I've yet another story regarding these jokers that's still ongoing, but I won't bore you unless you want :-)

Julian.

Very frustrating for you. Perhaps it's time for a letter to Watchdog to expose just how useless this company is.

From their website blurb. Perhaps a letter to the MD or trading standards because from your experiences they seem to be in breach of the trade description act.

Managing your leasehold issues should be as simple and convenient as possible for you.

We recognise and respect that we are dealing with people and their homes, and are committed to being professional, efficient and transparent.

Another story? type away we all like a good story about useless and inefficient service.

Write to Homeground expressing your dissatisfaction and tell them your charges for future incorrect billing, debt collector notices, etc - say £10 per item in and £10 per email/letter out.

If this happens again invoice Homeground and maybe take out a small claims case if the amount accrues considerably.

When I see ground rents up for sale at auctions I often wonder if it is worth buying - seems so much hassle for little income to me but often these go for quite high prices.

Shame you can't buy the freehold of your property and stop these charges dead.

Thanks, I like the idea of writing to them detailing future charges. One of the company directors appears to be Lord William Astor - I wonder how I could send a copy of my letter expressing dissatisfaction to him so that it lands through his letter box?

This leads me on to the next story that's still not resolved. It concerns another apartment with Home Ground responsible for ground rent collection. They are after me for about 4 years worth of rent, despite me only owning the property for about 2 years. I've (obviously) pointed this out but they insist that as the owner I am liable for all outstanding ground rents. My solicitor has written to them to advice that the vendors solicitors provided an undertaking to ensure all outstandings rents were paid up, indeed I have seen this letter. Despite the above they continue to send out demands and late payment charges.

I have paid them some money (about 1/2 that I do owe) but refuse to send any more money until they provide me with a full and correct invoice - so far I have heard nothing, so I'm expecting this little nonsense to be handed over to debt collection solicitors soon too!

Julian

From quick research on Google it would appear that the Astor person is step-father of Samantha Cameron no less! A letter to her hubby, the current PM (but maybe not for very much longer) might be in order. All the Astor family are all a bit suspect in my book dating back to Mandy Rice Davies!

I would not employ a solicitor but try to recoup costs of this again via small claims or MCOL. Take same action as recommended previously and get ready to invoice Homeground having set out your charges for their timewasting scams. This method was successfully used by a man who was constantly being harassed by a company insisting he had been mis sold CC insurance. He won - so I don't see why you shouldn't or at least get the nefarious billing stopped.

Second recorded letter sent. I have detailed their failings, stated yet again what they need to do, stated (as you suggest) that from now on every correspondence will entail a £10 charge and also threatened them with trading standards and CCing Lord Astor!

I've also emailed the debt recovery solicitors too, bringing them up to speed with the other shemozzle and that I have no intention of paying any extra costs and am fully prepared to have my stance tested in court. Maybe when Home ground approach them to act they will give them short shrift?

I'll be happy to go to MCOL. These clowns don't intimidate me in the least with their threats and price hikes, on the contrary I actually find it rather amusing!

Julian

Well Julian they already have.

With the companies that screw up and cause me disadvantage in this way I often contact them telling them of their error. I tell them this will be the last communication on this matter and they should proceed to court if they wish.

The ball being in their court then means they must apply the effort and expence. If I am correct in County Court, as I would expect my records to demonstrate, they lose and pay my 'minimal' expences. Their effort and expence should be greater though.as they would need to travel to the court of allocation.

I disagree there COR. According to the dictionary 'intimidate' means to frighten or overawe especially to make them do what one wants. Intimidation is when the Pikeys threaten to burn my house if I don't buy their lucky heather that the kids have just stolen from someone's garden.

I certainly haven't done anything that they want me to do ie pay them too much or pay twice. You could argue that the effing idiots have narked me somewhat and they are now paying for this.....The email I received yesterday was a very satisfying read!

Julian.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a result, the threat of letters to Lord Astor and to start charging for all incoming and outgoing communications did the trick - like magic they got off their behinds and sorted it out. Seems to me that the only way forward is to square up to these incompetent bully-boy companies.

Dear Mr S

Thank you for your letter received 6 June 2014.

In the first instance please accept our apologies for the lack of communication & acknowledgements to your emails.

In regards to X your payment was allocated to an incorrect reference number X. Once again please accept our apologies for this administration error & for passing the account to our solicitors J B Leitch.

I have looked into Y and on further investigation it seems the lease table from Elan Homes at the time of completion was referenced incorrect.

I have now removed both periods from your account (£390.00) & the £45.00 late fee.

This now leaves £195.00 outstanding for ground rent period 1st Jan 2014 – 31 Dec 2014.

I have attached a statement of accounts with the amendments.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Kind Regards A N Other, Portfolio manager.

Well I may just do that Morticia :-) I sent them the money, which they would have had six months ago if they got things sorted. And a reply email. I won't tolerate any more nonsense from these jokers, thanks for the advice:

Dear Mr X

I have paid the £195 via direct bank transfer quoting the reference number
supplied.

I would like you to check and confirm this with me please at your earliest
convenience as I have absolutely no confidence in your shambolic
administration system.

I can confirm that I am happy to receive emails for correspondence. This is
best as I don't use your on-line website payment facility as it didn't work
when I first tried it a while ago.

Please note that as per my previous (recorded delivery) letter, I reserve
the right to invoice Homeground for every incorrect invoice and/or demand
and for every email or letter that I send to you in reply to such
correspondence. The figure will be £10 per item.

Regards

Love the word "shambolic", have filed that away for future snotty letters.

Dave

"Chaotic, disorganized, or mismanaged"

1970s: from the word shambles, probably on the pattern of symbolic.

I've invoiced their solicitors, J B Leich, for my time spent writing to them and furnishing them with bank statement extracts providing proof of payments. I've set the term as 30 days for payment, after that it will be a reminder or two then off to the small claims court if they do not pay. I know it's a petty waste of time but an evil streak in me is now wanting retribution for their ruddy uselessness!

Julian

• 6 months later...

i have never dealt with such an incompetent company. We emailed them when we received a demand for ground rent and they had added £45. There was no registered company address or registered number on the correspondence. No proper address, no telephone number and the letter was not signed. Did they expect me to pay them? If I had and lost the money the police would say how silly to pay a company where such information was missing.

I paid the ground rent but not the fine in November last year and got another demand. As my payment has gone and I can see that it has from my account I took little notice of the demand that came through a few weeks later as I realise it is a small not very professional company and supposed that there accounts people would match it to my account. I have received a demand in January 2015 with a fine and no reference to invoice number, date, or statement. I have emailed them. I consistently tell them that they are not acting legally but not displaying the required details on their correspondence but it makes little difference.

I could not understand why Taylor Wimpey sold our ground to an offshore company in Jersey and Home Ground Management Ltd was appointed to collect the charges. Do I smell a rat? I googled the directors and find that it is Gravitas Company Secretarial Services Ltd, Mr James Stacy Aumonier and the Honourable william Waldorf Astor. Has anyone formed a web site to put pressure on these guys to be more professional

• 6 months later...

I have just bought a flat which is managed by home ground. Oh Joy!!

I have already received a ground rent demand for someone who is unknown to me and I have no way of accessing the website. Therefore I am not sure how exactly I can pay or get permission to let the property.

Any advice is welcome.

Leasehold flats can be complicated. Normally when you buy a property its your solicitors responsibility to inform  the freeholder or their agents of your purchase. 

It normally takes a while for the new owner details to work it's way thru the system. 

So, depending on the timing you perhaps need to check that your solicitor has contacted the freeholder.

As for permission to let.....if it's required (details will be in your copy of the lease) just contact the freeloader or their agents who will provide requirements to you.

Simples really.

Archived