HELP! I'm a newbie

BBH

Hello

I'm soon due to be a landlord for the first time on my first property. I've done some research on it but was wondering what forms of ID are best to ask for? and is it acceptable as a landlord to ask to see bank statements or P60 info? Any other advice on tenant suitability checks would be much appreciated

thank you

Passport copies of all tenants.

Recent bank statements.

Work references.

Credit references.

Rent guarantor for tenancy.

If this is your first rental I would suggest you use a agent for the first tenant for at least a tenant find service to set the tenancy up correctly from the start.

I assume you are going to have rent guarantee insurance so, the insurers will have their own set of criteria that your tenants must meet.

Just get the insurance and you don't need to concern yourself with any ID.

There is no guarantee that a letting agent will ID, reference and install a tenant satisfactorily at your let with all due respect to Grampa (who is a letting agent - I believe).

I always ask for a passport and most of the things mentioned above. Photographic ID is essential.

Even better try and get the signers' National Insurance number(s) as this will help enormously if your tenant gets into debt and you want to make 'an attachment of earnings' at some point in the future as part of debt recovery.

If you go the agent route, to what ever level from 'find only' through to 'full management', make sure as a condition of your agreement with them that you receive copies of all tenant particulars. My preference is for find only, my pre assessment of tenants by a meeting, and the AST to be between me and the tenant/s.

An 'good' agent such as Grampa to guide you through this one at least 'aint a daft idea.

Edit: Make sure you deal with the deposit yourself, that can save later complications.

Archived