Landlord cuts corners to save on fees

Grampa

We have a landlord which we manage a number of properties for. One became empty and he decided to manage him self and put his own tenant in. to save on fees.

Well after getting the possession order for him and a ccj for 2k of arrears (no deposit) we finally got the property back but it was in good order though. see below photos.

I didn't laugh honestly. :lol:

After a tenant serves notice I always tell them that I like to return deposits in full as this means I have had no remedial work to do and new tenants can move in immediately.........looks like this tenant didn't get the message ! :wacko:

One of thousands of newer BTL landlords who do go it alone but do not follow the procedures necessary to avoid ending up with what you see in the pictures.

I have very little sympathy with them.

But, and I know this doesn't apply to Grampa, how many A's do the job expected of them?

Reading of those that take deposits and don't protect them was common a short while ago.

LL's having trouble getting the rents, already received by the A, is something I've heard a lot of.

The T's sent along for my viewings by A's have been diabolical. If they can't weed out these types pre viewing they are clearly willing to lumber me with dros for a tenancy.

Let's face it wherever an A gets it wrong we are left with the liabilities,

It 'might' help if the state didn't make it so easy for T's to abuse us.

I guess it’s all about the degree of risk you are prepared to accept as a landlord. I like to think we have good procedures in place to weed out the 95% of the dodgy tenants. But if a property is sticking a landlord will lower his requirements bit by bit as they get more desperate to get a tenant in and that is understandable to an extent if there is a mortgage to pay

We follow a landlord’s instruction and let them know if we have reservations about a potential tenant and what the possible risk is and what options are open to us if xyz happens.

We don’t have a pass or fail with our referencing because different landlords have different criteria and some aren’t bothered by the odd CCJ. It just depends on the amount how long ago etc.

But regardless of the tenant I find the most important thing is to start any tenancy with the view that it will go pear shaped and be prepared, then be pro-active with dealing with any issues and set the tone with the tenant from the start so they don’t take the mickey.

That is not to say will are not sympathetic to any problems and if they are reasonable so will we. I have a HB tenant at the moment whose claim was stopped for about a month and now they owe about £1000. I would have been happy to accept 80/100 quid a month extra to pay it back but let them come up with a repayment plan which they did at double that and all the payments to date have been met. (don’t know how).

A few years ago I had a HB tenant who had been paying back arrears and made a payment leading up to xmas then on xmas eve asked for it back because he left his family short for xmas. I gave it back to him. Not sure I would do that now as I am a bit more hard nosed.

Did anyone see the TV program last night about benefit caps. I certainly don’t envy the council employees jobs and to be honest I didn’t have a lot of sympathy for the claimants.

Did anyone see the TV program last night about benefit caps. I certainly don’t envy the council employees jobs and to be honest I didn’t have a lot of sympathy for the claimants.

Yes I did Grampa. I do not have one bit of sympathy for any of them. 9 kids & 7 kids imported into our Country and demanding, yes demanding to be housed at the public expense because Brent was near to their family & friends.

If they don't like it then bu$$er off back to your own Country if you think your life will be better there for your family rather than High Wycombe.

As for the young black girl sporting two babies..... where are the fathers in all of this then? I'll tell you. Do not co-habit with your Partner because your tax free benefits payable will drop dramatically.

Immigrants have no automatic right to reside in London and Brent Council cannot house the Worlds population.

Yes my sympathy lay with the desk workers trying to sort them all out. What a job eh!

Did you also notice she can obviously afford to have a different hair colour and/or style at every different stage of filming? The cost of that would have made a big dent in her shortfall.

"A few years ago I had a HB tenant who had been paying back arrears and made a payment leading up to xmas then on xmas eve asked for it back because he left his family short for xmas. I gave it back to him. Not sure I would do that now as I am a bit more hard nosed."

Aye I often feel like their bank rather than their LL too, especially as so many enjoy the overdraft they assume is available.

To the original point, my view is that although many LL's are dimwits the way they blunder in to this (gosh I'm talking of myself some years ago) many are caught out as it's understandable that they couldn't have foreseen the illogical complexity of the legislation.

Archived