Damaged meter box

neversure

Hello this is my first topic.

I have done a check to see if this question has come up before. But couldn't find it.

I rent out a house ussing an agent, but they seem to be slow reacting to a recent problem.

A plumber that I sent to the property to carry out repairs reported back to me that the gas meter box on the front drive was damaged beyond repair. I contacted the agents their first reply was that it was down to me to pay for a new one. They say they are now looking into it?

On the inventory photos taken the day before new tenants clearly show the box in good condition. They are denying all knowledge as to how it was broken.

So what I am asking is does anyone know how I stand legally with this.

Thanks for any help.

Keith

If your tenants deny all knowledge of who or what damaged the box you cannot assume it was them and your tenants are not responsible for vandalism.

In your shoes I'dwork my way thru the following list

1. Intially try to find out what & why it happened....ask the plumber, the agent and if necessary the tenant....and perhaps the immediate neighbours.

2. Ask the gas people to replace it

3. Try to claim on your insurance.

4. Pay for the repairs yourself.

We have a similar situation with some of my properties with external electric meter boxes. The doors are left open and the wind then catches them and breaks them off. Its £70+ for a relacement but you can never find a tenant who will admit to the deed.....its always someone else or the meter reader man. The electric company refuse to pay cos they deny it was them. I know for sure it wasn't me but I'm the one who pays if I want it replaced.

Welcome to the weird world of the landlord.

The electric meter man last year failed to secure my meter box lid correctly after reading the meter and that too lost it's lid to a broken hinge in strong winds.

I didn't get any satisfaction either on getting it replaced by Scottish and Southern.

Your "Plumber" has reported it to you as a matter of course. If my Son ( gas heating engineer) had to pay for every meter box lid that he has seen broken off whilst attending gas problems and gas system shut downs his company would be bankrupt in a week. :D

Can you look to your tenants paying for a repair that they perhaps have no knowledge of? I doubt it.

Good luck!

Is the door actually smashed or just off its hinges? The pins seem to disappear from the hinges but I find using wire cut from a metal coat hanger bent into place makes a very good repair.

Same as Richlist I find this a common problem. At one property I now do the meter readings myself and email them in - problem stopped and this suggest the reader is at fault for not securing the doors properly.

Another problem in one area where I manage is thieves think there is copper wire or pipe in the box and break in to try and get at it. Stupidity! All this money we spend on education and look where it gets us!

We have used a good handyman to repair/patch up damaged electric doors in the past. This incudes fixing new hinges.

You also need to consider that the tenant did it themselves when they lost or couldn't find the locking key to open the door and they needed to top up the electric key and couldn't get in.

Depending on the location I would try to claim the cost from the tenant at the end of the tenancy. After all if it was in good order at the start of the tenancy it should be at the end.

I am ALWAYS very carefull to ensure keys to everything, including meters boxes are supplied by me AND signed for by my tenants on the inventory on moving in day. I have a large box of spares so lost keys are never an issue for me.

Its worth remembering that ALL except very simple repairs are the landlords responsibility ie the landlord MUST make the repair, at his cost if necessary and in a timely manner.....more so if it is considered a safety issue and I assume an exposed gas meter might be a safety issue.

What is being questioned here is who is ultimately liable for the cost.

I don't know if you could argue that damage to the box by persons unknown, just like a smashed window, should require the tenant to report the matter to the police and obtain a crime number.......what do others think ? No police report and no number would help guide any finger pointing would it not ?

If your tenants deny all knowledge of who or what damaged the box you cannot assume it was them and your tenants are not responsible for vandalism.

1. Intially try to find out what & why it happened....ask the plumber, the agent and if necessary the tenant....and perhaps the immediate neighbours.

We have a similar situation with some of my properties with external electric meter boxes. The doors are left open and the wind then catches them and breaks them off. Its £70+ for a relacement but you can never find a tenant who will admit to the deed.....its always someone else or the meter reader man. The electric company refuse to pay cos they deny it was them. I know for sure it wasn't me but I'm the one who pays if I want it replaced.

Hello Richlist,

Thanks for your reply.

1: I have photos (taken by agent) That clearly show the box was driven into most probably reversed. On one of the photo's it shows damage to the garage door, most certainly caused at the same time.

I have emai neighbours either side. One response so far. They didn't see anything. They have asked the tenants about what happened. They have no knowledge about it?

Neighbour tells me they have two vehicles car and van and as she sees it they must have been reversed into.

I have taken on board your other points... To be followed up.

Sorry If I seem a bit vague on this as I am out of the Country at the moment. So need to rely on agent.

Cheers

Keith

Is the door actually smashed or just off its hinges? The pins seem to disappear from the hinges but I find using wire cut from a metal coat hanger bent into place makes a very good repair.

Same as Richlist I find this a common problem. At one property I now do the meter readings myself and email them in - problem stopped and this suggest the reader is at fault for not securing the doors properly.

Another problem in one area where I manage is thieves think there is copper wire or pipe in the box and break in to try and get at it. Stupidity! All this money we spend on education and look where it gets us!

Hi Mortitia,

It is a drop down door. Door and bottom section of box smashed beyond repair.

Cheers

keith

The electric meter man last year failed to secure my meter box lid correctly after reading the meter and that too lost it's lid to a broken hinge in strong winds.

I didn't get any satisfaction either on getting it replaced by Scottish and Southern.

Your "Plumber" has reported it to you as a matter of course. If my Son ( gas heating engineer) had to pay for every meter box lid that he has seen broken off whilst attending gas problems and gas system shut downs his company would be bankrupt in a week. :D

Can you look to your tenants paying for a repair that they perhaps have no knowledge of? I doubt it.

Good luck!

Hello Melby,

I was in the trade, same as your son. I understand the problem Such is.

Cheers

Keith

1: I have photos (taken by agent) That clearly show the box was driven into most probably reversed. On one of the photo's it shows damage to the garage door, most certainly caused at the same time.

Neighbour tells me they have two vehicles car and van and as she sees it they must have been reversed into.

Its quite difficult without pictures to comment in detail so I can only give you my experiences of this....

When I returned from vacation a couple of years ago, whilst I had been away a vehicle had driven across my front lawn causing some fairly deep tracks (so it must have been heavy). Nobody saw anything so it was one of those things and the gardener just filled it & repaired it (at my cost). Is it possible something similar has happened here.....could someone have been using the drive to turn around ?

* Pictures don't show the box was driven into, they only show the box was OK & that its now damaged.

* The neighbour didn't see anything......the rest is guesswork on their part.

* Having X2 vehicles doesn't mean they drove into the box.

But, your tenants are responsible for looking after your property and if damage is caused to it.....which is clear in this case (gas box + garage door) its entirely reasonable to expect them to report this to i) the police ii) your agents.

Seems they haven't done either of these......why not ?

It rather suggests they don't understand their responsibilities....... In your shoes I might be thinking that its time for them to depart.

Its quite difficult without pictures to comment in detail so I can only give you my experiences of this....

When I returned from vacation a couple of years ago, whilst I had been away a vehicle had driven across my front lawn causing some fairly deep tracks (so it must have been heavy). Nobody saw anything so it was one of those things and the gardener just filled it & repaired it (at my cost). Is it possible something similar has happened here.....could someone have been using the drive to turn around ?

* Pictures don't show the box was driven into, they only show the box was OK & that its now damaged.

* The neighbour didn't see anything......the rest is guesswork on their part.

* Having X2 vehicles doesn't mean they drove into the box.

But, your tenants are responsible for looking after your property and if damage is caused to it.....which is clear in this case (gas box + garage door) its entirely reasonable to expect them to report this to i) the police ii) your agents.

It rather suggests they don't understand their responsibilities....... In your shoes I might be thinking that its time for them to depart.

Hello Richlist,

Thanks for your reply.

my house is one of four, two pairs of semi detached houses, with their own private drive, each house with it's own drive off of it. Mine is the second house in. The neighbour in the third house buys and sells on ebay. So yes she does have deliveries. I have never seen anwone do a reverse turn out of the main drive, it is only 30mts long an it is much easier to reverse out of. They reverse on to a very quiet road which is part of The Close.

I have the same thoughts. I certainly would have expected them to report it to the Agent. They didn't and yes it would have been reasnoable for them to report it to the Police. They didn't.

The words I used to the agent were. This doesn't bode well for the future.

As I am still waiting for a reply from them I think it is time for a wake up call.

Cheers

Keith

Refering to your road as The Close suggests a cul de sac / no through road.

Mine is the same. What happens occasionally is that people realise they have taken the wrong road and reverse up any drive in order to turn around........perhaps this is what has happened in your case.

Good luck with sorting it out

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Oklahoma City just survived a ice storm, OG&E hired outside contractors to help people without power to get their power back on.. During the period of the ice storm my house had power, the contractors came to my house and permanently destroyed my meter box and my landlord refuses to fix it.. he just keeps demanding that we pay rent. We asked for his address so we can file papers in court to serve him with and refused to give us the information requested..( any help would be appreciated: my email is: shanehodges88@gmail.com/ phone number is 718-200-4967).. I am in Oklahoma City, date the meter box was destroyed November 5th at 7pm.