Fair deductions from the deposit

Mortitia

I have just had long term tenants of 4 years depart this weekend. They have been great at paying the rent on time but on my occasional visits I noticed that housekeeping was not a strong point. Since rent was covering a loan I let sleeping dogs lie.

The large 2 bed maisonette was not 100% perfect when they moved in.

Yesterday I dumped all the carpets as they are well past it and the damage is as follows:-

1. 2 metal curtain pole brackets damaged ( at 1st I thought the building was sinking one side) - it seems the kids were swinging off the curtains!

2. Edwardian original window closer snapped off and left in the cavity of the secondary DG

3. sooty mould in bathroom - needs a total re-seal

4. old blue tack everywhere - damage to kitchen painted wallpaper and stuck all over sapele doors.

5. 2 small dents in kitchen worktop and worktop support missing at one end has led to it dropping and will have to be jacked up slowly to get it back into place.

6. Skirtings, doors and paintwork all very grubby and lots of dust

Biggest laugh was the male tenant came back with a friend to collect the TV and asked if he could take the shower curtain and rail as his new place did not have one. I only let him have the shower curtain - am I getting soft?

How much should I charge them if anything? All thoughts welcome.

Give them a list of the damage and cleaning requirements and invite them back to rectify with the understanding that should they decline your offer then to fulfil the list of requirements money will be deducted from their deposit as these items are not 'fair wear and tear'.

Yes, 'fraid so Mortitia....... your going soft. :D

1. After 4 years you have to expect some wear & tear.

2. Did you carry out 3 monthly inspections & follow ups ?

3. When they moved in did you issue the tenants with a general list of what they are responsible for ?

4. Did you issue the tenants with details of how the property should be handed back to you......and remind them that failure to comply would mean deductions from their deposit ?

5. Did you insist on viewing the property a week or two before end of tenancy and advise them of which items needed cleaning repair or attention ?

Its always best to be pro active.

Going slightly off topic we started using RL list of things to do/clean at the end of the tenancy (to give vacating tenants) with a few extra of our own added and although some tenants still don't take any notice the ones that do leave the property perfect(ish).

Here's my opinion: I don't expect everyone to agree....

1. 2 metal curtain pole brackets damaged ( at 1st I thought the building was sinking one side) - it seems the kids were swinging off the curtains!

Damage.....Tenant pays

2. Edwardian original window closer snapped off and left in the cavity of the secondary DG

Damage......Tenant pays

3. sooty mould in bathroom - needs a total re-seal

If its the silicon seal around bath/ washbasin etc then thats general wear & tear after 4 years.

If its mould on walls/ ceiling then thats the tenants responsibility for not providing adequate ventillation.

4. old blue tack everywhere - damage to kitchen painted wallpaper and stuck all over sapele doors.

After 4 years some of the walls probably need painting anyway.....blue tack is generally easy to remove. I wouldn't get to emotional over a few marks.

5. 2 small dents in kitchen worktop and worktop support missing at one end has led to it dropping and will have to be jacked up slowly to get it back into place.

Small dents are wear & tear.

Missing support leg - Tenant pays

6. Skirtings, doors and paintwork all very grubby and lots of dust

Put it down to experience. If they weren't told specifically what they needed to do accept that you are partly at fault for not telling them. If they were told they are at fault.

Right guys thanks for that - a text is about to be sent requesting £100 from the deposit. I had my agent for tenant find in this morning and he reckons that cleaning the kitchen alone will be £80!

RL' s idea of visiting the property a week before is wise. Trouble is they agreed an exit date then stayed another 2 months - rent was paid up to date.

The ast does say ' good, clean condition'.

The window catch is unique to that building - luckily hubby is running one up on the lathe this afternoon - in steel and not the original brass.

I will let you know what the response is.

In order to reduce the risk of being handed back a property in a mess I do a number of things......they don't always work:

1. Detailed inventory & schedule of condtion signed by tenant & landlord.

2. I usually provide all new tenants with a welcome pack that includes one or two pages that details the sorts of things that tenats are responsible for repairing. I get the tenant to sign to show they havve received it.

3. Regular 3 or 4 monthly inspections..

4. When they give notice to terminate I provide a moving out letter that details what is expected of them before they hand the property back to me.

5. I visit a week or so before they move out and point out those things that need cleaning or addressing to avoid deductions from the deposit.

6. I have a list of items with charges that are likely to be applied if the property is not handed back in an acceptable condition eg.....charge for oven cleaning min £50, charges for carpet cleaning min £50 per room etc etc.

One thing we have been doing for the last year or so is to have 3 extra clause(s)) that states if the property, oven, carpets have been professionally cleaned at the start of the tenancy the tenant agrees to have it professionally cleaned at the end and provide a invoice.

This is working really well for us and we are getting a lot more properties given back in a ready or nearly ready to rent out straight away condition.

We still have a detailed inventory but it stops dead any dispute on how clean is clean and we have had no problems in recovering the cost of the clean if not done from either the deposit or council bond.

Result! I texted a list of the damage and said I would overlook that if they coughed up £80 for cleaning (cleaning will only take £50) so deal done and got nice apologetic text back saying what a wonderful LL I had been.

I'm off to polish my halo and check out the new window catch. Cleaning team is booked for Thursday.

Thanks for those opinions and RL's lists - invaluable.

One thing we have been doing for the last year or so is to have 3 extra clause(s)) that states if the property, oven, carpets have been professionally cleaned at the start of the tenancy the tenant agrees to have it professionally cleaned at the end and provide a invoice.

Thats a good idea which I might adopt.

I currently have a slightly different approach in that I tell the outgoing tenant what is required and the likely cost of having the work done 'professionally' should they not do it.

I never complain if I have to spend an hour putting things right.....especially if they have been there a long time and there are always repairs & decor to deal with anyway. But, long gone are the days when I clean ovens, soft furnishings or windows etc.

I think it is the nature of the business and you have to expect to do somethings after the tenants have vacated. It is just adopting a procedure that works for you that reduces the things to do and rectify.

Going back to the (RL) list, the likely costs and the professional cleaning of property, oven and carpets we staple a copy of the original invoices to the list (or receipt if new) which encourages the tenants to use the same companies. We also attached a copy of the signed addendum with the extra clauses. (they are also in the tenancy) If you can get those 3 items cleaned to the required standard you are nearly there. (less any damages)

Letter as requested.....modify to suit individual requirements:

IMPORTANT - This letter contains important information for the return of your deposit.

Dear XXXXX,

Re: End of Your Tenancy Agreement for XXXXXXRental Address.

Thank you for notifying us today that you wish to end your tenancy of rental address. The earliest your tenancy can end is XXXXX date 2013. This letter is to advise you how you should leave the property when you move out.

1. Its important that you leave the property in a clean & tidy condition. General wear & tear is accepted but any damage, breakages, missing items or anything that is not clean may result in a deduction from your deposit. If you are unsure then please contact us. Its important that the property is handed back to us in a condition that is suitable for new tenant(s) to move in immediately. We prefer to return complete deposits as this means we have had no work to do.

You should ensure that the whole of the property is clean including (but not only):-

• Carpets.

• Curtains.

• Lampshades/ light fittings.

• All kitchen equipment including walls & tiles.

• All bathroom equipment.

• Windows.

• Any marks on walls, woodwork, door frames, skirting boards etc have been cleaned off.

• Any mirrors or glass have been cleaned.

• All light bulbs & smoke detectors are working.

• The oven & hob are clean.

• The fridge is defrosted (please ensure water from fridge does not run onto floor & damage kitchen units/ floor coverings).

• Any soft furnishings supplied have been cleaned, this includes- shower curtains & net curtains & floor mats.

• Anything else that has been provided & that you will hand back to the landlord.

2. Your deposit is held within the Tenancy Deposit Scheme operated by XXXXXX complete as necessary. Payment of all or part of the deposit will normally be made within 10 working days of the end of the tenancy.

3. Please ensure you provide us with a forwarding address.

4. If you have changed the electricity/ gas supplier you must provide the details. Currently our records show XXXXXXXX as the supplier. Please advise us if this is NOT correct.

5. You must also ensure that :

• All instruction books are left at the property.

• All the keys are returned.

• You have contacted the utilities: Electric, Water, Sewerage & Council Tax.

• You have made a note of the meter readings.

• You dispose of all rubbish before you leave.

• You have removed all of your personal belongings.

• Note: Royal Mail can redirect your mail for a charge, for up to one year……but we are happy to forward your mail on to your new address for a week or two.

6. When you leave, turn OFF all electrical appliances, ensure all doors & windows are locked and post your keys through the letterbox.

If you are unsure of anything, please contact us.

Yours sincerely

Archived