Housing benifit

Hartland

I've got to ask why you're asking.

If you're aim is to start managing her life you will be taking on more than you realise. In 2 weeks she should have the amswers to this already, the application for HB should be in as they won't back date without special reason, and not knowing / laziness 'aint one of them.

At 22 she will be considered for a shared room allowance, a reduced payment in effect. In fact if you do a web search it should detail her intitlement.

Then there is your being able to recieve it directly. this has added risks to you. She may tick this option, otherwise you can't claim it until she is 2 months in arrear.

Is there a guarantor?

I'm certainly not aiming to manage her life! I've never rented out a room before and she has never been out of work before. I thought this forum was for advise not criticism?   so it's new for her as well as me.

No guarantor, I can ask her to leave tomorrow as she's now a week behind on her rent, but I'm willing to give her another week . 

To answer your question yes she can claim room allowance only if she fits the criteria but the wheels of the social security payment machine move slowly so your lodger is going to be behind with any rent payments to you.

Then it will be up to you to either evict or to take no payment or to have a rent recovery system in place to make up for the weeks of non rent payment.

Good Luck

Someone is asking not to be criticised yet in their opening post cannot seem to spell 'benefit' - it doesn't bode well. I know that is nitpicking but it is symptomatic of the expectations some people have. I have let rooms as well as properties. When I have given leniency at the tenant's request I was later 'blamed' by the tenant (and the charity Shelter) for not trying to evict them sooner as this caused their arrears to grow which meant they couldn't afford to pay them back. Therefore being 'nice' as a landlord is a double-edged sword and not a path I would take again, mean as it may seem on the surface. As a landlord I also wouldn't expect to know the number of jobs my tenant had applied for - it all sounds a bit too cosy and something else is at stake here like friendship or your own tenancy. 

Last time this arrears issue happened to me where a tenant became unemployed I sadly had to give notice. The track I took was all due to a previous occasion where the tenant had given me assurances but three months down the line I still hadn't had a payment but still had to pay my mortgage. The Council (insert local name here) seem to move very slowly. My s.8 notice was effective and they moved on but only after court bailiffs as they had to tow the Council line on not moving out until absolutely totally had to. Not a brilliant stress free seven months . Sad but life.

The plus side is that if you are just renting a room in your own home then it that there is more power for you and no need to use court procedures. However some room let landlords tie themselves up in knots on written agreements so if you did have such a thing then you may need to double check what the tenant's and your rights are under that in the event of non-payment. 

So sorry my dislexia has upset you that much you feel the need to point it out to me.i will ask someone to check my spelling before I reply.

First lodger , understand too close, I will back off. 

I know about the job applications as they have asked question on their applications, this is called normal communication in my house between my young and older child with the lodger. 

no technical lodger agreement so no rights, they know this , I can ask them to leave at anytime without notice, again they know this.

Had a Job interview, got the Job, housing BENEFIT form processing as I'm typing. 

Thank you for your advise and own personal experiences, Being a residential Landlord is rewarding I've found in the time they have been here, knowing I have helped someone who would of otherwise been homeless due to a breakdown in their relationship. 

If I decide to do this again I would be more prepared now knowing the Law and pit falls which go with it.

Archived