How long to claim?

Antnkel

Refer to the deposit scheme the deposit is protected in as they have guidelines and helplines you can call. If you missed something on the original check-out and you have already informed the tenant everything is ok it will be tricky to to go back to them and say "oh I have just noticed this" as they will say "but you said everything was ok so im not paying anything". Thats not to say they are not liable but you may have to take them to court to get any money out of them.

There is no harm is asking though as you never know the ex-tenant may just pay up but unlikely.

The tenants are legally liable for damage etc done and if they dont pay you will have to take them to court or let the deposit scheme sort it out. The big question is can you prove it via inventory etc?

For the damage I've already stated you'd be talking a few hundred quid. Now as long as we can agree on that l'll leave it at that, but if I have to go to court I'd want to include a few things I missed which would quite easily double it. And there's a little bit of arrears as well. Not really a lot in the grand scheme of things I suppose.

I would also add that if the tenant tried to conceal the damage then you would have a case but if it is something that should have been visually obvious on property handover then I would say your chances are pretty slim. It would be a case then of who did what after the tenant vacated and that is a difficult one to prove and the result will almost be certainly awarded in the tenant's favour.

Unless this was for an HMO presumably:-

* It was not addressed to you but to the previous tenant(s) ?

* Its not your responsibility ?

* It could be wrong ?

* You have already contacted the utilities and given them the moving details of outgoing tenants ?

* You will be forwarding it to the ex tenants new address ?

Archived