Prospective Tenant & IVA

ian.coulby

Just wanted to get advice I have a new tenant that has put down a hold deposit with the agent but did not disclose at the time of the viewing that they had a IVA (Not that I can 100% say if the agent asked them if they had a IVA but they did ask about the CCJ) the tenant has a guarantor on board (Parent) but just wanted to get people's experience and see if the generally acceptable risk to go with someone who has a IVA.

I have taken on a tenant with an IVA before and it was very successful.

Try asking the applicant how he got into that situation and see if his story is reasonable. Mine was led astray by an older woman * :rolleyes: * who ran up bills on his C card. Anyway he had met new very sensible GF and her mother was guarantor. They were tenants for 2 years and left to buy their own place.

Every story is different but they did tell me at the outset and did not try to conceal anything - that might turn me against your applicant. Does his mother own a property? If not don't bother is my advice.

. Mine was led astray by an older woman * :rolleyes: * who ran up bills on his C card.

How refreshing Mortitia It's normally the other way round. :D

I think it depends on the level of ref checks the landlord/agent does. Our checks will disclose ccj or bankruptcy but not IVA. But a good application form should at least ask the question.

When generally there is a shortage of rented property and a corresponding long queue of good quality tenants with perfect/ near perfect references WHY would anyone consider a person with an IVA ?

Is there a financial incentive ?......perhaps higher rent or is it that this is the first person to have shown interest in renting the property ?

I wouldn't normally touch anyone who has an IVA. Don't be fooled by the odd/ occasional ok experience of others. I'm sure you could advertise your property yourself as available to people with IVA's & CCJ's and let it by ttomorrow......without any agents fees.

Tell your agents to work harder and come up with a good quality tenant.....which is what you are employing them for.

Hi Rich, there have been a few people showing interest but none have made firm offers and my time frame for getting the place let is running out. The refrence check complete by the agent has come back fine with here guarantor I am doing a separate one with more depth. But thanks for all the advise still worried but having to bite the bullet.

When generally there is a shortage of rented property and a corresponding long queue of good quality tenants with perfect/ near perfect references WHY would anyone consider a person with an IVA ?

Is there a financial incentive ?......perhaps higher rent or is it that this is the first person to have shown interest in renting the property ?

I wouldn't normally touch anyone who has an IVA. Don't be fooled by the odd/ occasional ok experience of others. I'm sure you could advertise your property yourself as available to people with IVA's & CCJ's and let it by ttomorrow......without any agents fees.

Tell your agents to work harder and come up with a good quality tenant.....which is what you are employing them for.

Archived