Can your tenant move family in without your consent?

Tinamaria

My house is already overcrowded the local council have requested that I serve notice which I have already done! The tenant has moved her daughter, her daughters baby and her daughters partner into my house without my consent!! it's a 3 bed property it now has 4 adults and 9 children. Is this grounds to evict them sooner?

Your tenant is allowed to have visitors.....who may stay a few days or a few weeks ......but, the tenant is not allowed to sub let.

Is this grounds to evict them sooner?

Only a court can make that decision. In my opinion its very unlikely to succeed .....how would you prove the arrangement was a permanant one ?

The most important thing a landlord can do is choose their tenants VERY carefully.

Good luck.

I'm curious as to how the council became involved so as to request eviction.

After all bearing in mind the council are now penalising those with too many bedrooms shouldn't they be paying a bonus in this case ?

Hi Cor, my solicitors had served a s21 on tenants but he put the wrong date on notice so it was dismissed in court by the judge! My tenants then have reported me to local council to say house is substandard?? They do not want to leave! Their complaint to local council has backfired on them as the council say they are overcrowding the property it is only a 3 bed. They have now added to the overcrowding with 2 adults and a child!

Why didn't you know how many people would be moving into the property when you first let to the tenants......surely you would have asked them and then discovered that there were 9 of them ? Or did something change ?

Hi Cor, my solicitors had served a s21 on tenants but he put the wrong date on notice so it was dismissed in court by the judge!

Another example of a high street solicitor playing at being a letting agent :angry:

I originally let my house through a letting agency whom I got rid of as they were rubbish. I had a nightmare getting the rent off the agency so I got rid of them! The agency has gone bust. The tenants have moved 2 adults and a baby into my house without my knowledge or consent!

But wouldn't it already be overcrowded with the 2 adults & 8 children in a 3 bedroomed house, before the latest additions ?

Who approved the 2 + 8 you or just the original agents without your knowledge ?

Is the tenancy in its fixed term or has it become periodic ?

Yes it was already overcrowded but to be honest I did allow it initially. I just wanted to get my house rented. The previous tenants where through an estate agent they trashed my house. It had to be refurbed, the agency had vetted them so I allowed it. I had lost enough money on the property. The ast tenancy ended September.

Archived