Internet usage

aitch

He is a lodger and I am the live in landlord, there is a clause in his contract states he must pay for any excess usage on utility bills. He was advised in October that the provider was changing. There was a limit in place for the broadband which would have been ample for 'normal everyday' use but he has been downloading films. I can only assume to to the volumne used that he has downloaded overnight and/ or during the day. When he signed his contract he said he was a high user and would pay for any extra usage, the contra. I have a deposit which would more than cover the cost. At his insistance, I have changed my plan which now ties me into unlimited usage for 18 mths this will also cost me an extra £10 per month, he is not expected to be with me after Oct this year. Surely he has a duty of care to find out what the ceiling on usage was and not just assume that it unlimited. My intention is to write to him stating that the usage is unreasonable and also invoice him for 'benefit of the doubt' 75% of the excess. Would this be fair?

When he signed his contract he said he was a high user and would pay for any extra usage.

As long as he was made fully aware of his obligations for additional costs as a high user then I don't see any problem with him meeting that cost.

Archived