Gas checks etc

chickpea

I have a conventional Potterton boiler installed when I built this particular house in 1989......23 years old. Its only needed repairs X3 times at £150 a time. Serviced annually (most years, not all). Fernox added most years (not all). Spares readily available.......plumber says it will go on virtuallly forever as there are very few bits to go wrong.

I have instant hot water, never run out. It keeps the property warm and I'm 100% happy. Its controllable, cheap to run as my gas bill seems lower than many other peoples.

I suppose if the house burnt down I'd have to have it replaced with a combi.......but I think thats very unlikely.

I have no wish to save the planet.

Tracey you had to attend the property to give training to a T in how to turn a knob (into a thinking human being is my view but hey). Not unusual in my experience.

Then you have a LA that finds it so easy to assume a tradesman is needed.

The usual is that the LL pays as T rarely accept being at fault. We attend in person and legally shouldn't make charge but as many of us have properties at distance I find that unreasonable.

Years ago a T complained that the gas bills were too high, I agreed as mine were too, everyone's are (if you have gas). His view was that the boiler must be using too much and inefficient, he felt it needed checking, or the meter was faulty. My answer was to organise for the gas engineer to check the boiler. Depending on the result of inspection would dictate who pays, the same for British Gas to check the meter but he didn't need me to arrange that.

As you might expect the boiler was good, of course he didn't like having to pay up but tough. And the gas meter, well there was no more discussion on that.

It gets tiresome having to tell them how many times to fold the toilet paper to prevent getting mucky fingers.

"I suppose if the house burnt down I'd have to have it replaced with a combi.......but I think thats very unlikely."

RichList:

Actually no! Modern (condensing) boilers don't have to be Combis. My condensing boiler isn't a combi mainly because I have a power shower that needs hot water storage (providing me with warm airing cupboard), but it is complicated as I've previously mentioned re. by-pass valve etc. in notes above.

Re. Your Potterton - I entirely agree! Keep it as long as you can. And it might still work if the house did burn down. As they say..."If it ain't broke.... .."

No wish to save planet? Do I take it you have no interest in who's going to be around in next 30 years to enjoy your Potterton?

No wish to save planet? Do I take it you have no interest in who's going to be around in next 30 years to enjoy your Potterton?

Correct. I'll probably leave that property to charity as there are lots of others for the family to argue about. I don't like the thought of handing people to much of an inheritance.........working, earning and learrning the value of money is important.

Archived