renting your main home. fire regs?

peter wilkins

This is new to me. As I understand it ALL domestic furniture must meet the latest fire regulations for fabrics and foam fillings (1989) and have the certification labels attached if the furniture is supplied by the landlord.

If my understanding is incorrect then would someone inform me....thanks. ( I do not rent out furnished property )

We are planing to rent our furnished home for six months while we travel to Australia.

Woudn't recommend letting your property with your furniture........especially if you have any emotional attachment to it........you might be in for a nasty shock on your return.

This is new to me. As I understand it ALL domestic furniture must meet the latest fire regulations for fabrics and foam fillings (1989) and have the certification labels attached if the furniture is supplied by the landlord.

This is correct. Whether or not you see yourself as running a business, you're deemed to be hiring out a product "in the course of business" as according to the Consumer Protection Act. If you don't ensure all of your furniture is compliant with fire safety regs, including having a permanent label still attached from the point of sale as Grampa pointed out, you could face a £5k fine, prison sentence, civil action from the tenant, even manslaughter charges if your tenants were to die in a fire.

I strongly recommend you either make sure all of your furniture is compliant, or you put it in storage and let your property unfurnished.

Enjoy your travels :)

Regards,

A

I could be wrong but...

I think you are mixing up the definition of your main home.

When it is let to someone else - it is their home and not yours.

The main home thing is only relevant if you are still living there and letting a room, perhaps having a lodger or other paying guest.

Also, for tax you will need to be keeping records and declaring income...

Archived