Tax question - First time landlord

Egathetos

I have 2 rather simple questions and I hope that someone can help me to clarify them.

I have started renting a furnished flat and it is this time of the year when I need to do a tax return. The rent I receive is 750 per month (750 x 12 = £9,000 per year).

Question 1 - Am I right in understanding that in my tax return I can claim 10% of wear and tear (£900) as part of the costs? I have no interest in capital allowance.

Question 2 - The agency is charging me 10% plus VAT (total for the year £900 + £180 VAT). Do I record as an expense the whole amount (£1080) or just the £900. I am not VAT registered or anything like that. I only have a salary.

I hope that someone can clarify the above points and I thank you in advance.

I have 2 rather simple questions and I hope that someone can help me to clarify them.

I have started renting a furnished flat and it is this time of the year when I need to do a tax return. The rent I receive is 750 per month (750 x 12 = £9,000 per year).

Question 1 - Am I right in understanding that in my tax return I can claim 10% of wear and tear (£900) as part of the costs? I have no interest in capital allowance.

Question 2 - The agency is charging me 10% plus VAT (total for the year £900 + £180 VAT). Do I record as an expense the whole amount (£1080) or just the £900. I am not VAT registered or anything like that. I only have a salary.

I hope that someone can clarify the above points and I thank you in advance.

Hi Egatheots

You can claim 10% wear and tear on furnished properties only. More info here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/pim3200.htm

And as for your second question, my mind has gone blank so don't take my word for it, but I do believe my accountant puts the whole amount through as an expense.

This may be a silly question but if you rent a property with just a few items of furniture such as a fridge and a couple a chairs etc does that mean you can then claim a wear and tear allowance of 10% of the net rent?

This may be a silly question but if you rent a property with just a few items of furniture such as a fridge and a couple a chairs etc does that mean you can then claim a wear and tear allowance of 10% of the net rent?

According to my accountant - technically, no. A "furnished" accommodation needs to be fully furnished. Once upon a time Landlords were getting away with claiming a fridge and a few bits as furnished, but it's not, and if caught out you'd be fined.

You'd get caught the same way that you would if you were fiddling your tax returns.

HMRC carry out audits on a small number of landlords each year and its not difficult for them to discover if its really a furnished property......

* they might ask you to provide a copy of the inventory.

* they might ask your lettings agent if its let furnished or unfurnished.

* they might check with council tax to see the situation in the void period.

* they might ask to see the advertising media.

* they might talk to the tenant.

* I guess in extreme cases they mmight visit the property.

I suspect that there are a lot of people claiming the 10% tax relief when their properties are not fully furnished.

Archived