More financial outlay :(

Acura

You've asked a very awkward question.......

Technically, legally and by all other measures its the landlords responsibility to ensure the property operates correctly irrespective of wether the tenant has caused the problem or not. However, in most cases, tenants accept that they have a responsibility to fix a problem of their own making.

Irrespective of who arranges the visit its the tenant who should pay for the repair to locks and keys as a result breaking the key.

If they won't arrange the repair, attend the property whilst the locksmith visits, pay the repair costs etc then the landlord should attend and pay and formally charge the tenant for those costs. A deduction from the deposit may be necessary.

Hope that helps ...

Thanks Richlist

The agents seemed to think it was down to us as her words in the email were 'The tenants have just called to say that the key has broken in the front door are you happy for me to send a locksmith out

l rang the NLA and they said 'you bend it, you mend it' laugh.gif

I've gone back to the agents informing them that whenever a lock breaks we're happy (and always have) to pay for the repair or replacement, but breaking a key in the lock is the tenants' responsibility.

Heard nothing back so we'll see. Thanks (as always) for your reply.

Oh, and as much as I'd like to, I can't attend as I'm 5000 miles away!

I agree that the tenants should pay but they could argue that the lock is faulty so you may need a proffessional opinion if they refuse.

Generally if the lock is faulty you get advance warning because the lock gets stiffer over a period of time which the tenant should at least given it a squirt of oil and reported it to the agent.

This can be one of those situations where the tenant should pay but the landlord ends up paying.

I consider the landlord, obviously in this case through agent, should always take responsibility for locks.

Keys don't usually break without an underlying reason.

Would a landlord give their tenant the opportunity to change them?

What kind of landlord wouldn't pay a small sum to ensure locks are functioning correctly?

In this particular case I think the question is not who is responsible for doing the work so much as who is liable for the costs.......which coud be quite high when you consider.....emergency call out, agent adding admin charges, cutting extra/ spare keys etc.

Most tenants wouldn't attempt a repair themselves but would usually have someone with the necessary skills do the work for them.

1355217002' post=21531]

I consider the landlord, obviously in this case through agent, should always take responsibility for locks.

Keys don't usually break without an underlying reason.

Would a landlord give their tenant the opportunity to change them?

What kind of landlord wouldn't pay a small sum to ensure locks are functioning correctly?

It wasn't the lock that wasn't functioning. And it was a relatively new lock as the previous tenants broke that so I paid to have a locksmith out and change the lock and keys. Not a 'small sum' in the slightest. The lock broke, and I had it fixed immediately - as would I in any instance (and always have for other properties).

The tenants have sorted it although I don't know whether they got the broken key out themselves or called a locksmith.

Thanks for your replies.

Archived