Data Protection

mad_maz

Hi all

We own a leasehold flat that has recently been taken over by a new management company. This company are charging ever increasing fee's, one of the latest is to charge every 6 months for agreeing to let us rent out our flat.

They ask for details of the tenant and a copy of the tenancy agreement, and my question is "due to data protection should I be passing this information to them"?

Many thanks

Maz

Yes you should. The situation is not uncommon and I have 3 properties managed by Peverel OM Ltd that require exactly the same.

I'm charged £65 for new tenants and £32.50 for renewals......its tax deductable and is often to be expected with leasehold property.

How much are you being charged ?

It is all down to what is stated in your lease.

There are a number of freehold block agents trying to charge fees in the £100's which have been ruled as excessive but it doesnt stop them trying to collect.

Hello

Thank you both for your replies.

Richlist - the amounts are the same as yours, but I queried the charge as up until 6 months ago we had never been asked to make this payment.

Grampa - it seems like my charges are small ikn comparision to some.

Oh well, better get the cheque book out then :-(

Cheers

Maz

These are not Lettings Agents but Manageing Agents who are either the freeholders themselves or they act officially for the freeholders of leasehold property. They are usually entitled to charge fees and to know the details of who is resident in the property and their remit is normally laid out in the lease.

RichList is right. Do not confuse Managing Agents with Letting Agents, although in some cases if the MA is also an LA he/she may be providing both services for (some) owners.

Managing Agents charge a fee to owners to cover insurance and maintenance of common areas. Where owners are renting to tenants MAs may charge extra to cover increased wear and tear due to tenancy change-overs. MAs will hold details of all owners and are entitled to request contact details of tenants (e.g. for emergencies).

It is worth finding out who owns the lease. It may be the owners corporately, in which case owners have full power to appoint Managing Agents and negotiate fees.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived