Tenant Requesting Adjustments due to operation

ejaybee

I am a private landlord renting out my only property under an AST.

The property is a basement flat, which is accessed by a wooden staircase which is less than two years old. My tenant is having a back operation next month and has contacted me asking if she may nail chicken wire to the steps to aid grip while she is temporarily incapacitated. I have not given consent for chicken wire as I consider this a potential hazard (catching heels, water collecting & freezing) so I suggested she investigate anti-slip strips. She is now asking me to pay for these.

I am happy to give my consent for her to install them, but am I obliged to pay for this adjustment? Having read various guides to DDA and reasonable adjustments, I am still unsure of my obligation.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

You could fit anti-slip grips or there is a painted on anti slip surface for wooden steps which is inexpensive to buy.

Whether you do this is down to how much you like your tenant and want to keep them and I would suggest if they are nice tenants and pay up on time every month then treat it as goodwill measure. It is tax deductable for you. Do NOT fit chicken wire though.

Make sure though if you do carry out this work it is purely a goodwill measure on your behalf just to make sure that they don't think that everything is always down to the landlord to provide.

You could fit anti-slip grips or there is a painted on anti slip surface for wooden steps which is inexpensive to buy.

Whether you do this is down to how much you like your tenant and want to keep them and I would suggest if they are nice tenants and pay up on time every month then treat it as goodwill measure. It is tax deductable for you. Do NOT fit chicken wire though.

Make sure though if you do carry out this work it is purely a goodwill measure on your behalf just to make sure that they don't think that everything is always down to the landlord to provide.

Thanks - we're looking at £150 ish with the required prep of the wood to fix anti-slip strips (materials & labour - I am in a different part of the country). While the tenant does pay on time, I would say they are quite 'high-maintenance' and have the flat at considerably below market value. This is the latest request - I get one every couple of months ranging from 'there's a fox living in the garden - please sort', to 'can you install a dimmer switch' to 'I feel the cold, can you replace the bathroom radiator with a double one'. One justified issue was the fridge, which they complained hadn't been working properly for months, and they kept having to throw away food at great expense, but hadn't informed me initially. I immediately replaced the fridge, of course.

I know it's not a huge amount of money (and tax deductible) but the stairs are fit for purpose and while I am happy to give consent for the tenant to make these adjustments, I am reluctant to pay for it unless I am legally obliged to.

If your tenant is having a back operation and the property they return to after that operation is not suitable due to their disability or recooperation requirements then surely they can claim for assistance through the benefits/ NHS system ?

Have you or they looked into what help is available ?

Thanks - we're looking at £150 ish with the required prep of the wood to fix anti-slip strips (materials & labour - I am in a different part of the country). While the tenant does pay on time, I would say they are quite 'high-maintenance' and have the flat at considerably below market value. This is the latest request - I get one every couple of months ranging from 'there's a fox living in the garden - please sort', to 'can you install a dimmer switch' to 'I feel the cold, can you replace the bathroom radiator with a double one'. One justified issue was the fridge, which they complained hadn't been working properly for months, and they kept having to throw away food at great expense, but hadn't informed me initially. I immediately replaced the fridge, of course.

I know it's not a huge amount of money (and tax deductible) but the stairs are fit for purpose and while I am happy to give consent for the tenant to make these adjustments, I am reluctant to pay for it unless I am legally obliged to.

Did you actually fit a dimmer switch & change the radiator because it's never been your job responsibility to fit a dimmer switch or a double radiator in the first place.

What happens if you get another tenant who doesn't like dimmer switches & says the bathroom gets too hot, will you change things back again?

Regarding the steps you need to seek some legal & building regs advice since whatever you do to the steps will make you liable.

TIP OF THE DAY.

I have heard that a tin of paint with a couple of handfulls of sand mixed in does good job at making steps and walk ways anti-slip proof. If it is painted on in a good workman like manner you would hardly notice unless you ran your hand over it.

Depends on how much to want to spend or bend over backwards for your tenant

In view of what you have said then I would say to your tenant it's your requirement you fix it and that you have no liability to provide anti slip steps but having said that would you leave yourself open to a hazard slip claim with them in the event of a fall?

Yes, grit sand into a pot of masonary paint is how I would do it and I have done so in the past. Grey masonary for well lit area's or white for unlit area's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COO-VAR-WHITE-SUREGRIP-ANTI-SLIP-FLOOR-PAINT-1x5-LITRES-/200656378513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb80d5a91

Archived