Can I end an 18 month contract with no break clause?

Noor75

Hi,

I used a local agent to find me tenants and sign up tenants to an 18 month contract without any break clause. I need to end the contract early as having major problems from tenant, for instance they have other people living at the property, which are not on the tenancy and are sometimes late in payment of rent. Do I have any right to end the tenancy? If so, can I apply for this to the court myself without paying a solicitor? How do I go about doing this? What forms are needed etc?

Thank you.

Noor

A contract is binding on both landlord and tenant. The only way you can end the contract is by mutual agreement.......that may be forthcoming if you were to offer your tenants a financial incentive....it may not. You cannot end it any other way. Late rent payments and tenants with visitors does not constitute a sufficiient breach.

#1 - you can get a lawyer (really inexpensive) to submit a 10-day notice (check with your lawyer; some states it is only 5 days) to 'Cure-or-Quit'

that means move the heck out anyone not on the lease

if they don't - you can then give them a 60day (again, check with your lawyer/state-sometimes it could be just 30 day notice) to get the heck out or you will start eviction proceedings.

btw, they still have to pay rent even if you serve them notice - no free rides

ah - in the case of the UK it will all depend on the magistrate; you'll still need to pursue through the courts and I think it's called an 'accelerated possession procedure' even if they are assured tenants. use the N5B (but i would still use a lawyer)

I do have a couple rentals in London but they have been long-term tenants and i have not had any issues

How much rent is unpaid, and how much is the monthly rent?

Does the tenancy agreement state that you can use grounds 8, 10, 11, 12 or 14 of schedule 2 of the 1988 Housing Act?

Is this extra person actually causing you any problems? It may be annoying, but usually, extra occupants don't actually cause any real problems.

Archived