Appliance Guarantees

Richlist

Interesting point RL.

I would say yes if the product is registered to that address and not forgetting of course that ALL guarantees have a small print exclusion clause like "has not been subject to excessive use" etc.etc.

I have only once in recent years had to claim on a guarantee and that was for a flat screen 42" Toshiba TV and I have to say Toshiba were very good in honouring the guarantee. The repair invoice was over £200.

Incidently there is a large TV repair facility here in my location that does ALL the guarantee repair work for all the major companies and the minimum charge to look at a flat screen TV plus any repair costs at extra payment is £150!! So next time I shall be taking out the 5 year repair guarantee for any TV I buy.

I have never seen anything in an appliance guarantee to say anything to the contrary regarding tenants.

Guarantees usually state something like ' the appliance must not be misused......' but nothing about tenants.

Come to think of it I have never had an appliance break down in the guarantee period.

Why not buy from John Lewis - you automatically get an extended guarantee of 2 years free (5 years on TVs)? I use them a lot in London.

Mortitia

Well I think you may be over simplifying the situation. We all know that insurers will make every effort to reject a claim and the devil is in the detail. I've not made a claim on an item in a rental property either BUT would like to be reasonably certain that should I need to, that claim will be honoured. I've just pulled out from my file the guarantee for a Hotpoint Fridge it says.......the guarantee will not apply if the appliance has not been used for normal domestic use and that it does not cover commercial or trade use. Our opinions of wether that constitutes cover may differ to theirs.

Secondly......1 year guarantees and extended guarantees appear not to carry any weight anyway. European legislation covers stuff up to 6 years apparantly. There are lots of articles on the web......here's one:

http://www.guardian....s.howtocomplain

Quote:

"It's a similar story with faulty TV sets. When we rang the service division of Dixons, which is called Mastercare, to say an 18-month-old 42in plasma TV wasn't working we were told that it could send someone out to get it, but it would cost £120 plus any parts. However, we were also told that if it had failed because of an inherent fault, they would try to get the manufacturer to make a contribution to its repair - where appropriate".

It was under the Sale of Goods Act that I got my TV repaired. The TV was just 9 months over the 1 year guarantee period. To be fair Toshiba offered the repair instantly over the phone.....no hassle whatsoever.

My Son had an 8 month battle with Comet to get his TV repaired and it was still under guarantee as well. It went to legal action in the end with a Solicitor involved.

Comet replaced the TV and made an out of pocket refund of £25. Dealing with Comet was an absolute nightmare as they just didn't want to know and no amount of letters and telephone calls made any difference. They did send 2 TV repair men to the house over a 3 month period but neither managed to cure the fault.

Needless to say none of my family ever buy from Comet nor will they ever do so.

RL: I wouldn't ask your question. It looks like a can of worms.

Why should rental be any different from normal use? Don't answer!!!!

Oh why didn't I think of that ? Adopt a head in the sand approach and hope its all alright on the night. Mmmmm......you might make an ideal tenant for someone !;)

• 2 years later...

Hi

White goods are fine to be used in rental properties and still comply with the manufacturer's guarantee. The confusion can arise as above with the usage of the appliance in Commercial premises however. This refers though to a washer dryer being used in a hairdressers or a domestic fridge being used in a cafe or coffee shop for example. Extended warranty providers differ again and most will exlude cover or reject claims not just in commercial premises but on appliances being used in a rental property or being used by tenants so care must be taken when choosing a provider.

http://www.landlordapplianceprotection.co.uk has been developed by Landlords with this in mind and offers comprehensive cover specifically for use by landlords and tenants.

Archived