E-Petition RE: Anti- Universal Credit

Grampa

• 3 weeks later...

Signed :)

Another stupid piece of landlord legistlation dreamt up by some duck-wit civil servant who doesn't live in the real World.

• 3 weeks later...

As a side issue, a housing association client has informed me that at least 40% of their tenants will be hit by the excess room reduction which will come into effect when Universal Credit is introduced in April 2013. In essence where a tenant has an extra bedroom available their housing benefit will be reduced by 14% this figure increases to 25% where the tenant has 2 extra rooms. I do not think that tenants fully appreciate the situation as yet. If you are a landlord with HB tenant's you will need to keep your eye on arrears from April 2013 because as night follows day its going to bite. Perhaps a prompt to your tenant re the new position might suffice or it may even be time to get that s.21 notice served.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for that information. I had read the original post & link but hadn't recognised the implications.

I don't let to anyone on benefits so, for me, this is just another reason (to go with my existing list) not to let to people on housing benefits.

It might be bad news for benefits tenants but I can see it being massive issue for some landlords as well.

Just like the council tax changes introduced for fully furnished property ( furnished in my area are now charged 90% c/tax during voids) which has almost wiped out the availability of fully furnished accomodation........I can see this change reducing the number of properties being available to benefits tenants.

Archived