broken cooker, what are landlords obligations

louise-000

Hi we provided a new oven for our tenants in October but in May the knob fell off rendering it unusable.

We contacted the manufacturer who ordered a new one and advised it would take 50 days, this time has been and gone and the company are now saying that they don't know how long it will take.

The tenants are now getting frustrated that they have no oven (the hob is fine) they feel it is unacceptable.

As a landlord what should I do? We either need to wait on the new part or buy a whole new oven. What are my legal responsibilities here? Many thanks.

What make of oven is your oven control knob?

Most of these cooker knobs are universal fit and are obtainable through spares stockist.

To answer your question if the tenant has not caused the problem then it's down to you, the landlord.

It's no surprise that the T's are miffed.

If you search the RS online catalogues you can usually find a knob that will at least get the oven operational till the manufacturer gets off their ass.

RS will post swiftly and the cost I found to be acceptable.

Another route is an Ebay search for the specific model knob.

I don't think 7 weeks + is anywhere near acceptable. Presumably the oven is still under guarantee. Take legal advice on your options......waiting indefinitely for a replacement part is not what one expects from a guarantee.

I can recommend e-spares.co.uk. They take a pride in quick and economical delivery of parts to help diy service of a wide range of white goods and other household stuff to save unnecessary scrap. (I have no connection with company!)

My vacuum cleaner was to be dumped for sake of replacing its on/off switch at a cost of about £15 of which 1/3 was postage. Ordered by internet it arrived following day. Fitting required a little basic skill.

I try to look after my tenants first and complain to appliance manufacturers after!

I think manufactuuers and to some extent retailers are missing a trick here.

There are around 4 million privately rented properties in the UK........nearly all of them require basic, good quality electrical products which are reliable, durable have excellent spares availabiliy and a decent after care service. They need to be simple, easy & quick to fix, sold at a discount and last.. .....cookers, washing machines, vac cleaners, fridges & freezers.

What do we get ?.......no special treatment, no special products, no special service.

Archived