Nightmare Tenant

Pinky

Please help I really need some advice as Tenant behind on the rent and caused some damage to the property and has moved out! They are only half way through a 12 month contract, we did get them to sign an agreement and we do have a guarantor.

I have agreed with them to just pay the rent in arrears if they let us have the keys back .To be honest I dont think I have much hope of getting that back as DSS.

I believe I need to get the tenant to sign the keys back to me but not sure quite what I need to do and Im not sure if I need a solicitor for this but ive got so much to sort I dont really want to incurr any more costs unless i have too

I don't know if / how you are certain that your tenant has moved out permanantly or temporarily. Either way they are still your tenants, wether in arrears or otherwise, until the tenancy is formally ended.

If you are quite sure they have moved out you should perhaps adopt the 'abandoned property' process......as follows:-

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal/abandonment.htm

In your shoes I would first concentrate on regaining possession of your property thru the abandoned property proces and then claim rent arrears & costs for damage from the guarantor.

If you are quite sure they have moved out you should perhaps adopt the 'abandoned property' process......as follows:-

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal/abandonment.htm

Having read through that process it tells me everything that is wrong in Law when dealing with bad tenants especially when you read this statement:

A 1997 court case resulted in the landlady receiving a £20,000 plus fine for re-letting her flat even though her abandoning tenant was in prison, committed for life. He persued the case from prison and won. Be warned!

Absolutely ridiculous and it tells me one thing: Landlord /Tenent law needs to changed in the UK to stop stupid events like an event mentioned above from happening.

I don't know if / how you are certain that your tenant has moved out permanantly or temporarily. Either way they are still your tenants, wether in arrears or otherwise, until the tenancy is formally ended.

http://www.landlordz...abandonment.htm

In your shoes I would first concentrate on regaining possession of your property thru the abandoned property proces and then claim rent arrears & costs for damage from the guarantor.

The tenant is speaking to me and ive managed to track down where they are. She is proposing to pay some of the back rent but she has not stuck to any agreements we have made in the past so I doubt I will ever get the money back.

I just dont know how to get the property back properl :(

Archived