Wall Mounted Bathroom Fan Heater

Richlist

I have a wall mounted bathroom fan heater that needs replacing........like for like replacement, not the same make/ model but has same 2.0KW rating.

Question: Can I replace it myself OR do I need an electrician to do it and issue me with a 'part p' certificate ? I'm more than capable of doing a 1st class job.

My understanding is a competent person can replace a like for like fitting such as plug and light switches and I would think your heater would come under the same category.

If you electrocute the tenant deny everything and blame the former tenant:D

Part P

Although your example isn't listed as exempt from being notifiable I can't see how there would be more reason to notify than fitting a storage heater so as Grampa replacements are permitted works, it goes without saying that you would be responsible for any adverse outcome, but as LL you are anyway so no change there.

Ideally it should be protected by RCCB. It isn't uncommon for these heaters to be fed via a fused and switched spur unit, 'un'switched and fused at 13amp is correct.

More complicated but confirming earth continuity would be desirable, without going into earth loop impedance tests a simple meter to check the resistance across neutral and earth at the spur can be of some purpose. This can depend on the circuit protection at the consumer unit but you should expect less than 1ohm (remember to minus the meter lead resistance). All done while isolated at the consumer of course.

I have a wall mounted bathroom fan heater that needs replacing........like for like replacement, not the same make/ model but has same 2.0KW rating.

Question: Can I replace it myself OR do I need an electrician to do it and issue me with a 'part p' certificate ? I'm more than capable of doing a 1st class job.

The theoretical answer is yes since your not adding to the electrical circuits but for peace of mind I'd consider getting an electrician to change it since any potential ###### will stick to him & not you.

You'll only need tenant like Waspie if there's a problem with it!! Lol!!

Archived