Help - gas safety cert

Nicwdr

Hi - I'm about to let out my property for the first time and have had a gas safety certificate completed. The gas fire has been deemed as 'immediately dangerous' due to an unsatisfactory spillage test. I'm letting through an agency and as far as I'm aware the tenants haven't yet signed anything (due to move in next week) and neither have I, other than my agreement with the letting agency.

Am I able to have the gas supply capped off and leave the fire in for decorative purposes only? The gas company are recommending taking out the gas fire, bricking up the hole and installing an electric fire.

Any help/advice gratefully received :-)

If no contract has been offered to the potential T's (signed) the choice is yours to offer the property as you wish.

It would be wise to make them aware that the 'gas' fire is only for decoration and even clarify that in print, a special clause on the AST perhaps.

I think you should also add that the fire is unsafe in case tenants try to get it re-connected.

TBH really you should fix it or remove it. How are tenants expected to heat the property in cold weather?

Not a particularly good start to being a landlord methinks.

Mortitia

Thanks for the replies.

Obviously I'm not going to leave the property unable to be heated, there's a very large radiator in the living room and in the four years I lived there I only used the gas fire maybe twice when I'd left the heating off. Which is one of the reaosns I'm not keen on going to the expense of replacing it until I'm ready to sell. Just seems to be an unneccessary expense.

I've 2 properties where the flu has failed during the present tenancies. The fires are capped and just sat looking pretty.

I am fortunate that both these properties have easy going (and good paying t's) rather than "I am paying for a fire where is it?"

I'll install electric fires soon(ish), I suppose flu less could be a choice, but there are greater priorities.

A relevant question for Mel, what 's your opinion of flu less as I've had gas engineers slate them ?

We did exactly what you are being advised to do, the cost of replacing the gas fire, along with annual servicing and checks compared with £200. for a good quality electric every few years. No brainer.

Nobody seems to mind, the lack of a real fire, it lets out easily.

Dave

A relevant question for Mel, what 's your opinion of flu less as I've had gas engineers slate them ?

I personally wouldn't recommend one of them. They can be troublesome and they are not known for their long life either.

Regarding the original poster's comments.

Any flue/gas fire thqt fails a spillage test then that cause of that spillage should be investigated......there has to be a reason......from a birds nest blockage to an incorrectly structured flue.

Just fit an electric fire since they are more efficient than a gas fire. With an electric fire the kw input matches exactly the kw heat output but a gas fire puts out less kw of heat then the kw input so the gas fire can be as low as 25% efficient.

Some of the flueless wall-hung gas fires claim 100% efficiency but they are very expensive & fraught with problems.

All electric fires are 100% efficient & more or less trouble-free.

I'd definitely remove the faulty gas fire and have it capped off - replace with good style electric if tenant really needs it. By "very large radiator" it sounds like you have CH as well.

I would not leave unusable equipment about, even for decor - it gives impression that your property is not cared for and tenant may neglect other items.

Check with professionals how to deal with flue - it may provide a useful airway for room ventilation.

Check with professionals how to deal with flue - it may provide a useful airway for room ventilation.

Note: Unused chimneys should not be blocked off completely.

Its important to leave at least an airbrick to ensure some ventillation / flow of air through the flue / chimney to combat damp and to dry out any water penetration from above.

Archived