Moth damage to homes

NikkiB

It is estimated that around 1.5 million homes in the UK experience problems with moths, and it's an issue that is getting worse. With central heating, the moth life cycle has now become active all year around. Finding moths can cause significant distress and welearn a lot from speaking directly to people on the phone. Problems range from disgust at moth larvae in rugs, horror at holes in cashmere jumpers, worry about wool carpets to food moths in kitchen cupboards.

Moth infestations commonly occur in warm and higher humidity conditions where the adult moths find their way into homes and the female moths lay eggs in suitable locations for the development of their larvae. The 'right' conditions for a moth infestation include absence of strong light, a reasonable degree of humidity (prevalent throughout most of Western Europe), and suitable materials to ensure a food source for the emerging larvae, and hence a potential site for moth infestations.

Food is the crucial issue for the larvae to survive being adept at converting the proteins found in keratin into food, larvae are most in home on clothing, upholstery and carpets made of natural fibres. Animal hair contains keratin, so wool and cashmere are the preferred food sources.

Alternatively, our food storage provides another opportunity to harbour moth infestations, particularly from the Mediterranean Food Moth and the Indian Meal Moth, both prevalent in the UK.

For carpet moth problems, use the following tips:

1. CLEAN - Move furniture away from edges of the carpet and thoroughly vacuum the carpet (both sides if possible) also paying particular attention to skirting boards and crevices

2. KILL - Spray the carpet deep into the pile and on the underside if possible to kill any eggs and / or larvae also consider foggers for severe infestations; producing an insecticide smoke that pests cannot avoid

3. MONITOR - Place moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths and to break the breeding cycle

4. REFRESH - Vacuum deep into edges regularly, keep moth traps current and replace every 3 to 6 months plus consider respraying regularly please remember, with warmer houses carpet moth damage and infestations are now a year-round problem.

It is estimated that around 1.5 million homes in the UK experience problems with moths, and it's an issue that is getting worse. With central heating, the moth life cycle has now become active all year around. Finding moths can cause significant distress and welearn a lot from speaking directly to people on the phone. Problems range from disgust at moth larvae in rugs, horror at holes in cashmere jumpers, worry about wool carpets to food moths in kitchen cupboards.

Moth infestation commonly occur in warm and higher humidity conditions where the adult moths find their way into homes and the female moths lay eggs in suitable locations for the development of their larvae. The 'right' conditions for a moth infestation include absence of strong light, a reasonable degree of humidity (prevalent throughout most of Western Europe), and suitable materials to ensure a food source for the emerging larvae, and hence a potential site for moth infestations.

Food is the crucial issue for the larvae to survive – being adept at converting the proteins found in keratin into food, larvae are most in home on clothing, upholstery and carpets made of natural fibres. Animal hair contains keratin, so wool and cashmere are the preferred food sources.

Alternatively, our food storage provides another opportunity to harbour moth infestations, particularly from the Mediterranean Food Moth and the Indian Meal Moth, both prevalent in the UK.

For carpet moth problems, use the following tips:

1. CLEAN - Move furniture away from edges of the carpet and thoroughly vacuum the carpet (both sides if possible) also paying particular attention to skirting boards and crevices

2. KILL - Spray the carpet deep into the pile and on the underside if possible to kill any eggs and / or larvae – also consider foggers for severe infestations; producing an insecticide smoke that pests cannot avoid

3. MONITOR - Place moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths and to break the breeding cycle

4. REFRESH - Vacuum deep into edges regularly, keep moth traps current and replace every 3 to 6 months plus consider respraying regularly – please remember, with warmer houses carpet moth damage and infestations are now a year-round problem.

Alternatively light a candle. :D

Never ever had a problem with moths in any of my homes around the world during the last 40 years.

The estimate of 1,500,000 homes in the UK being affected by moths is a massive over estimation in my opinion.

Perhaps you should seek employment in the film industry as i believe they are looking for new ideas for horror movies......who knows you could be the next Spielberg.

Best way to get rid of moths is a bright light and a fly swot.......works every time.

They will be having dinner with David Cameron next to persuade him to make it compulsory for all landlords to have moth infestation certificates prior to renting. :D

Well I guess the most important question on the tips of the tongues of all landlords is........if my property gets moths..... is the tenant or the landlord responsible for the cost of the damage and their irradication ?

For about 10 years I have had carpet beetle larvae in my London flat. When tenants moved out who had been there 3 year I had to replace 2 entire carpets.

Apparantly carpet beetle is more likely on 1st and 2nd floors and mine increased dramatically after having had the roof replaced - beasts were in old roof.

Go for synthetic carpets - they don't like it and you can buy a pack of stuff off the net for about £40 which will deal with the bugs. It is a bit long winded to use but works.

Mortitia

Archived