Licensing of Lettings Agents

Grampa

For every argument there is a counter argument.

I'm a great believer in LESS regulation. I'm also a supporter of the coalitions' drive to reduce public expenditure. This idea would both increase regulation & cost money so won't be getting my support.

Whats wrong with expecting people to do their own homework and to CAREFULLY select a suitable agent for themselves ? After all, they do exactly that when they employ a builder or take their car for servicing/ repairs or go shopping for virtually anything else.

Anything the Gov' do has a cost for taxpayers and I'm very interested in reducing my tax bill. I'm also more interested in providing a country free from excess debt for future generations than I am in helping feckless landlords who don't seem capable of helping themselves.

I agree to a point. But the average man in the street sees a sign in the high street saying letting agent and would at least expect a certain level of service just the same as if you wanted a soilicitor. But with a solicitor they have codes of pratice and you at least get a certain recourse if they cock-up. With all the mickey mouse agents you dont

There are always exceptions to the rule........solicitors and probably a few others......all put in place when there was more money available no doubt.

Yes, I can understand the problem BUT, why do we need to licence lettings agents when almost every other service that one can buy isn't licenced ?

I can have just as many problems with my local car repairers or when having some building work carried out but nobody is suggesting a Nationwide Licencing arrangement for them.

Sorry, I just don't see how lettings agents are a special case.....and I suspect the Government will take the same view.

I can see both sides of the discussion..........

Perhaps we should be looking at qualified rather than a blanket licensing LA system?

I was a licensed engineer in my previous life.

Archived