Why do student have to pay by quarter?

Tee

Hi all

We have just taken over the full management of our student homes, after a bad experience with our agents - we are running the business in the same way as all our previous agents and our AST is accredited via the local council..... however I have just had a question from a new potential tenant whos dad is a lawyer............ they want to know why students pay quarterly and not monthly? I just wondered how you would answer that.....

Personally I like quarterly as it is in line with their students loans, its less admin and chasing payments............ plus I see it as an industry standard.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tee

They want to know why students pay quarterly and not monthly? I just wondered how you would answer that.....

'Personally I like quarterly as it is in line with their students loans, its less admin and chasing payments............ plus I see it as an industry standard'.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

My thoughts are that you have already answered your own question

I know nothing about student lets but that isn't the point. The point is you are the landlord and can choose what ever rental period you like and you don't have to justify your decision.

But if it is the norm in the SL industry I suspect it is because the landlord or agent will spend too much time chasing a monthly rent payment from tenants who will be difficult to get hold of and are likely to spend the rent on cheap cider.

No offence to students but we were all young once.

As my kids went through Uni they paid 3 payments each year, as you say as the loan came in.

Expecting the rent any other time isn't realistic with students.

To answer Daddy's question, as a Lawyer might, use a question.

"Is your question a serious question".

You see lawyers are taught not to ask questions they don't already know the answer to, now charge him his rates for your wasted time.

LMAO - Thank you so much - :) your thoughts are much appreciated and made me smile.. I have now sent a nice email.............. second one will be a take it or leave it one as I have a long waiting list for the house :)

Thanks again

Tee

• 2 weeks later...

The lawyer surely knows his side because he is working with the law. But for you to defend yourself in that concern, you can just tell him the reason why you are doing that. I know he will understand you. Of course, you don't want to be left empty handed at the end when they're not going to pay their rent.

Archived