tenants owe council tax on previous property - bailiff threat

chickpea

We opened mail addressed to our ex-tenants at our property's address today, because it was also addressed to 2 other people whose names we didn't recognise.

It was a letter from the council, concerning outstanding council tax owed on their previous rental property and threatening bailiff action if they didn't respond within 14 days, paying the full amount (somewhere in the region of £700, as I understand it).

We phoned the council tax people, because we were actually concerned that they had been told all 4 people were living in our property (they hadn't - it was simply that the mail for the 4 people goes to every address they've been given).

We've told them the exact dates our tenants were living at our property, and they seemed happy with that (and our agent has also contacted them) BUT reading the problems others have had with the council tax people, can we expect a visit from the bailiffis to our property?

We have a post-tenancy address - should we forward all mail to it, pass it to the agents or send it back as undelivered?

Our delightful ex-tenants appear to be cutting up rough now - apparently the father has phoned the agent, threatening that he will be paying a visit to the office tomorrow (agent is on leave and has told his staff not to take any nonsense and call the police if neccesary, following last week's stream of verbal abuse from him). They are also calling us, leaving messages demanding to know why their deposit repayment has been rejected).

We've been back to the property today to switch the heating to a constant 10 degrees and opened all doors, shut all blinds etc. The outside bin hadn't been emptied and in it we found a load of mail belonging to the previous owners, dumped, plus empty tobacco pouches and empty boxes of filer tips...so much for them being non-smokers, eh?

We are preparing for more trouble from these tenants - in what form, I'm not sure...I just have a feeling that things may turn nasty - any advice as to how bst to safeguard ourselves/the property?

I think you mean the letter wasn't sealed, or even your >><<>><<>>< cat scratched it open.

You would never ever, ever catch me opening some one else's mail. There have bee n a couple of letters that have already been opened though.

Other than that, it's not your problem.

Don't worry, Cor - we phoned the council straight away to tell them what we'd done and that it was because we had serious concerns that 4 people had been living in the property without permission - they didn't seem bothered.

I take your point, though - opening other people's mail is a criminal offence, I know.

We are preparing for more trouble from these tenants - in what form, I'm not sure...I just have a feeling that things may turn nasty - any advice as to how bst to safeguard ourselves/the property?

They are ex tenants.

End of.

What sort of trouble are you expecting ?

None of us can see into the future and we have a police force who deal with problems......am I missing the point ???

I don't know, Rich - I just have a feeling that we may either get harassment from them (2 phone calls and a text this evening, in the space of 10 minutes), or perhaps find a paper trail of debts recorded to the property address, eg loans etc. They have shown that they aren't really very pleasant or trustworthy people - I just want to make sure that we haven't left ourselves open for future problems or repercussions from them.

OK....if its violence you are anticipating make sure you have a phone and call the police if it kicks off.

If there are threats .....call the police. If they harrass you,....call the police. If.....call the police. Get the message ?

Debts are no concern of yours. Debts cannot be linked to your property, only individuals. Make sure you have notified all the utilities and council tax people with names dates and meter readings where appropriate.

Nothing else is likely to fall on you.

I'm sure any calls and texts will fade away in a few days if not......yes, you got it.....call the police.

Good luck.

I'm in agreement with RL.

In the past I have pre dialled the Police, phone in pocket just press and talk loudly name, location. The equipment records from the off even though the operator keeps asking questions.

T'other have a shortcut button to the phones video recording, record activities with phone and while memory is good also on paper for later.

Usually these sorts back down when their collars been felt but make sure the insurance is up to date for those windows.

Good being a LL innit ?

Agree with above.

Also suggest printing a few sheets of No longer at this address - Return to Sender lables in as large print as possible. Stick it all back in the post box and let the system deal with it.

It saves you worrying about contents of post and also very useful, re-assuring, and simple to use for your new tenants, should some mail continue for a while, which it might.

If you've notified utility companies with departure date readings and your address and date when you took over charges for void period, and also council tax office, you shouldn't have any further worries.

Having bought very many properties over the years where there has been repossession by the mortgage lenders I have learnt to "return to sender" all letters as has been suggested by Chestnut.

I have also had many occasions where Bailiff's have banged on the door collecting outstanding debts but once it has been established that the person they want no longer lives there they never bother you again.

You Tracey have no liabilities whatsoever for another person's debts so you can relax about that.

Any threats from anyone then inform the police asap. Time to get tough with these ex tenants and better still tell them that any further harrassment by phone, email or in person you will be showing the evidence to the police to handle. It will soon stop.

Thanks guys.

We haven't heard anything more from the tenants, but expect that the father will visit the agent on Monday when he returns from leave.

The agent has said that he will no longer engage directly with either the tenant or the father - he will leave it to the DPS arbitration to sort out.

Archived