letting agency

marco_c

hello everybody!!!

i have a 2 bedrooms house

it has been let to 2 students since the 1st of July through a letting agency but we had lots of problem

the contract is for 1 year and i'd like to gave the property to manage to another letting agency from July or before if it is possible

i didn't get any statement so far and the rents i received is nothing compared to what they should pay me

i sent several email and i called them to no avail

what can i do? your advice is really appreciate

many thanks

marco

hello everybody!!!

thanks for your replies. i really appreciate

unfortunately i can't go to the agency

i sent a mail to the director but he didn't reply

the house is in a student area and that letting agency found 2 students really quickly.

the rent is around 450 but in my pocket the amount i should get it around 380

From their payments I can see:

£381,67

£382,80

£762,66

£116,32

Total received from them £1.643,45

The correct amount from July would be

July £380,00

August £380,00

September £380,00

October £380,00

November £380,00

December £380,00

January £380,00

Total due £2.660,00

1000 pounds are missing ….

i believe they are not competent because it is not difficult to send a monthly statement

am i entitle to give the property to manage to another letting agency?

i can't check the contract now but i believe it didn't mention anything.. i think it mentioned that it was 1 year long

and i'd like to get part of the missing rents. how can i do it?

many thanks

marco

For someone who has lost £1000 you seem very vague about the contract. Why can't you look at it now?

Sounds like your existing agent is not giving you the full amount of rent so speak to him by phone and ask why?

In the meantime collect the rent yourself - don't tell me - you are not in the UK

If this is the case seems you might have to come back and sort it out.

Mortitia

hello Mortitia!

thanks for your reply

unfortunately the contract is n italy and i am in ireland and the property in uk LOL

i have just called and they say that they will send me the statements and they said that students pay half rent for july and august

is it possible? it seems really strange

any idea?

i will ask them to send an email because over the phone they can say lots of different things

many thanks

marco

hello everybody!!!

thanks a lot for your really helpful advices. i really appreciate a lot :)

i finally got the 4 statements full of mistakes: wrong surname, the first statement shows 391.72 but on my bank account i got 381,67

but i can understand better what happened, for example in one statement i see a payment for the combi-boiler 72 (60 + 12 vat)

now we know the amount due from the agency

July £190,00

August £190,00

September £380,00

October £380,00

November £380,00

December £380,00

January £380,00

combi boiler -£72,00

total due from the letting agency: £2.208,00

this is what i got:

£381,67

£382,80

£762,66

£116,32

totale received: £1.643,45

£564,55 missing

their email:

You will not of received payment since the end of November as the students tend to pay with their loans that they receive this month so we should have everything upto date by the end of the month.

The tenants are looking to have a rent reduction due to the problems they have had with the boiler. Please let me know what you think.

any idea?

many thanks

:)

The agent has said

The tenants are looking to have a rent reduction due to the problems they have had with the boiler. Please let me know what you think.

Were you aware there was a problem with the boiler?

If not you need to direct your question on this to the agent and ask them what was wrong , why were you not aware and what happened that would warrant them wanting a reduction in rent .

If there was a problem with the boiler and agent got it repaired why would they need a reduction.

Tenants are not entitled to any rent deduction. You might like to remind them that you are already giving them a concession by accepting their rent payments late although, I wouldn't be quite that polite.

Hopefully you have rent guarantee insurannce or a guarantor.......claim the shortfall NOW from whichever insurance policy you have.

hello!!!

thanks again

i have endsleigh insurance for landlord

but honestly i'd prefer to get the rent in time. the tenants pay half rent for july and august and they are not entitle to have the reduction

moreover the payments are always late

the combi boiler has been replace with a new one, new thermostatic valves to all radiators... i think everything has been done

can i evict landlord and tenants for breach the contract?

if i ask to another letting agency before than july what can i risk?

many thanks

marco

i have endsleigh insurance for landlord

But do you specifically have RENT GUARANTEE INSURANCE ?

but honestly i'd prefer to get the rent in time. the tenants pay half rent for july and august and they are not entitle to have the reduction

moreover the payments are always late

What you'd prefer and what you get are clearly not the same. You probably can't force anyone to pay their rent on time. The students haev a contract, they probably aren't looking for a second year so don't care.....you'll just get your money when they see fit to pay you. There is very little you can do during the fixed term of that contract other than claim the shortfall thru your insurance.

the combi boiler has been replace with a new one, new thermostatic valves to all radiators... i think everything has been done

can i evict landlord and tenants for breach the contract?

You can try but youare unlikelyto be succesfull......I wouldn't recommend it.

if i ask to another letting agency before than july what can i risk?

You should check your agreement/ contract with the lettings agent. Your lettings agent can still impose charges if you go to another agent using the same tenants that yo already have.

• 3 months later...

hello everybody,

i have a question

i let a 2 bedroom house through a letting agency to 2 students

the contract started the 1st of july 2011

i sent a letter by post as "special delivery" and a email saying that i wanted the key back and the property empty for the end of june

but i got their reply

this is their reply:

"We have already signed tenants up for your property, who's conract begins on the 1st July 2012 and will run to 30th June 2013. As outlined in the management agreement you have signed, point 5.3, if you want to keep these tenants and pay us the fee's we would have no problem. The tenats do have a legal right to the property as they have already signed the agreement, however if you would like us to try and move them to another property we can ask them.

Please let me know what you want us to do."

the notice should be 2 months as i can see in the ttached agreement:

5. TERMINATION

5.1 Either party may end this agreement by serving not less than 2 months notice on

the other, such notice to expire no sooner than the last day of a period of the

tenancy.

5.2 If either Party:

5.2.1 Being an individual or in the case of a partnership any one or more of the partners

becomes bankrupt or has a Receiver appointed over his affairs or:

5.2.2 Being a company goes into liquidation (except for voluntary liquidation of a

solvent company for the purposes of amalgamation or reconstruction) or has a

Receiver or Administrative Receiver appointed or:

5.2.3. Executes any assignment for the benefit of or makes an arrangement with his

creditors

The other party may end this Agreement immediately by serving notice on the

other to that effect.

5.3 If the Owner terminates this contract at any time during the period of the tenancy,

or sells the property before a tenancy we have arranged has began, the Agent will

be entitled to charge and receive a management fee equivalent to

2 ½ (two and a half) months rent on the property, or a single payment of £875

plus VAT whichever is the greater.

i can't understand why they already signed an agreement without asking me

i keep on having lots of issues with that letting agency

what can i do ?

any advices?

many thanks

marco

In short - business for agents is hard to come by at present as there are so many.

It would seem they have ignored your instructions and seized a money making opportunity as you are not in the UK and don't seem to know or care about what they are doing .

Your best bet would be to come to the UK, change the locks and tell agent to go forth. Make them find another property for the tenants.

Mortitia

In short - business for agents is hard to come by at present as there are so many.

It would seem they have ignored your instructions and seized a money making opportunity as you are not in the UK and don't seem to know or care about what they are doing .

Your best bet would be to come to the UK, change the locks and tell agent to go forth. Make them find another property for the tenants.

Mortitia

thanks for your reply

can i go to the agency to collect the key and change agency and tenants?

honestly as stated in the contract:

5. TERMINATION

5.1 Either party may end this agreement by serving not less than 2 months notice on

the other, such notice to expire no sooner than the last day of a period of the

tenancy.

i served my willing to end this contract last week so i should be in time to get rid of tenants and agency

why did they sign another agreement without letting me know?

is there anything i can be sued for?

many thanks

thanks for your advice

at the moment the letting agency is not paying me the rent and for the previous ones there were always delays

i talked to the manager and he said that they will try to find another property for the tenants who signed the agreement

i have called a few time ago another letting agency and signed the management agreement starting from the 1st of july

can i advise them to take care of this issue?

many thanks

marco

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've had a look at a few of your commets regarding letting agents which have let you down.

Either with managment or a simple renewal.

Well here at Martin&co we offer a great service to suit all your requierments. If you are fed up with the agents you are currently with then why not give us a go.

and you never know we may be able to offer an introductory insentive.

email us toaday on solihull@martinco.com

Landlords are always advised by me to ensure, that wherever possible, they should select their lettings agents by recommendation........so unless you have been recommended you don't look any better than any other agents.

Other factors that might help to make that decision are......your qualifications, experience, knowledge, time in the business etc etc.

Placing an advert on the web without providing any of this information is unlikely to attract much business for you.

hello everybody!

the letting agency dealing with a 2 bedroom house gave up and one tenant is gonna stay till the end of june

the other tenant is staying till the end of july and she sent me a email saying that she will pay in my bank account but i didn't receive anythinf so far

what can i do?

any ideas?

unfortunately i can't keep their deposit because the letting agency gave the deposit back to the tenants

many thanks

marco

Archived