Tenant's bf visit

Luigi

Hello -

I have a flat rented out to 4 different people and they are paying equal rents. One tenant got a boy friend and looks like he comes quite often. The tenant told me that her bf only comes during weekend as he got his own place. But 3 out of 4 weekday visits I had in last 5-6 months, I saw her bf there with the tenant either cooking or watching TV (usually around 7-8pm). I wasn't able to verify whether he stayed there overnight or not during weekday as I don't stay there.

I totally understand the occasional friend visit. But it is regular weekend stay and quite often weekday visit at least for the evening, which is much more than just occasional visit.

Not sure if you guys had similar situation like this before. Just wondering how to approach this. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Boy meets girl, girl meets boy.........its what makes the world go round.

This is normal business, it happens all the time. There is virtually nothing you can do about it other than serve your tenant notice by S21.

What often happens is, as I'm sure you are aware, the relationship either ends or they decide to move in together. If the latter then you can insist on either:

a) a new contract or

B) the end of the existing one.

Well the way i see it, its a commercial decision. If the person is a good tenant and its not causing problems with the other tenants you could turn a blind eye to it. Or you could confront your tenant explain your concerns and ask for proof that the BF lives elsewhere. Othere option would be to ask for a higher rent.

"One tenant got a boy friend and looks like he comes quite often."

My only concern is that the T clears up the mess afterwards ohmy.gif

T's private lives are their own business until it affects our business.

Thanks you all for sharing the perspectives. I agree it is tricky as T's bf is using the flat/facility quite a lot due to the time/nights he spends there on a regular basis. But it is difficult to find the line where I can ask for higher rent unless I can prove T's bf actually live there. Probably a good way is to check with other tenants privately first to make sure they feel comfortable with current situation.

Archived