Electrician or no?

Acura

Please can you advise me regarding this situation.

I have a tenant who has emailed requesting permission to remove a bathroom cabinet and replace it with a mirror. On top of the cabinet is a light, and they are wanting to remove the light as well, cover the wires and place them in the wall recess in case it's needed in the future.

Should I tell them it's ok to go ahead (I don't mind them replacing the cabinet), but they must use an electrician, or can they do this job themselves?

What is my responsibility here, does anyone know?

Thank you

Also .. I've not been able to type this in the box. I've had to type it elsewhere, then C&P. Is there something obvious I've missed?!

Hello

If the tenant really wanted it changed I would get my own electrician to do it at the tenants expense.

But if you are going to allow the change then you will also have costs involved in making good the wall plastering and decor.

Personally unless there was a really good reason I wouldn't allow the change .

Hello

If the tenant really wanted it changed I would get my own electrician to do it at the tenants expense.

But if you are going to allow the change then you will also have costs involved in making good the wall plastering and decor.

Personally unless there was a really good reason I wouldn't allow the change .

Thanks both for your replies

I've told her that she can remove the cabinet and put up a mirror, but any alteration/removal of the light must be done by a qualified electrician.

I've stated that I won't be liable if anyone gets hurt should she decide to do this alone.

Again, I've tried to reply to you both but can't type in the box - even if I quote, as I tried above. Why can't I post directly on this forum?!

sorry not sure why you are having problems posting ,

I would also go so far as to say that I will provide the electrician, or at least get the electrician she will use details ,

otherwise they may still do it them selves and tell you an electrician carried out the work

I agree with the other posters.....don't allow any material changes (especially electrickery) UNLESS.... the tenants idea is so mind blowingly brilliant that it will :-

1. add value to the property.

2. improve its lettability (is that a word?).

3. increase future rents.

4. reduce maintenance costs.

5. make life easier for the landlord.

6. refusal will result in the loss of a much valued tenant.

My tenants have made valuable suggestions for improvements/ modifications over the years and I have on afew occasions paid to have the work done.

This would not be one I'd agree to as it doesn't fall into one of the categories above......ALTHOUGH......the tenants request suggests that there is not a mirror in the bathroom and I think all bathrooms should have a mirror.

The Building Regs come to your rescue in this situation, the regulations are (in simple terms) that electrical work in bathrooms and kitchens have to be carried out by a Part P registered electrician.

You have no choice unless you want to leave yourself at risk, it is not enough to say that the tenants can do it at their risk, if a later tenant gets electricuted.

Keep all documentation/receipt from the electrician.

Cheers

Gee

The Building Regs come to your rescue in this situation, the regulations are (in simple terms) that electrical work in bathrooms and kitchens have to be carried out by a Part P registered electrician.

I think its important to ensure that the above is not taken as a general statement when carrying out electrical work in bathrooms & kitchens.

The regulations applicable to bathrooms & kitchens apply to NEW installations. If you wanted to replace, for example, a previously installed electric shower, light switch or socket then that would be acceptable without a part P registered electrician or having the work certificated.

I think its important to ensure that the above is not taken as a general statement when carrying out electrical work in bathrooms & kitchens.

The regulations applicable to bathrooms & kitchens apply to NEW installations. If you wanted to replace, for example, a previously installed electric shower, light switch or socket then that would be acceptable without a part P registered electrician or having the work certificated.

oooh thanks ...I didn't know this ..

Thanks everyone for their input and advice.

I'm going to go back to the tenant and suggest a replacement cabinet be bought (at my expense) with mirrored doors. I will get my builders to install it, and sort out the light fixture at the same time.

Richlist - you're right. There isn't a fixed mirror in this bathroom. Previous tenants have put up their own and/or had free standing mirrors on the window ledge which is immediately above the sink.

Does my suggestion seem reasonable?

By the way - still not able to post. I would have answered sooner but it's a pita having to type this elsewhere then C&P!

Sounds like the perfect solution Acura.

No problem posting from here (UK).

I know nothing about computers but it would seem to be a problem at your end.

Thanks again Richlist.

Since my last post I've thought about this situation and decided that I'm happy to pay for a cabinet, but if they want it they'll have to reimburse me or pay for the installation/electrical work themselves.

I lived in that house for a good number of years before I moved in with my then partner, now husband, and didn't need a fixed mirror as there was plenty of room for a free standing one. All the subsequent tenants since 2001 have managed too, and I fear this is another of this tenant's new partner's requests - not hers.

He already made changes to the property without informing me when he wasn't living there, so I made it very clear any proposed changes MUST be requested in writing BEFORE they're done, and agreed by me in writing before they go ahead. At least they've had the decency to do that, and I'm grateful for that.

I don't want to upset the tenant as she's been a very good one since moving in almost 3 years ago, but I don't want to submit to each and every request either. I've been very accommodating - almost too accommodating - to date, and I'm now going to draw the line a little.

BTW - it must have been my iPad that wouldn't allow me to reply as I'm on the main computer now and able to post just fine :)

Archived