help please

deanzone32

Hi

can anyone clarify where i stand please:

i am a landlord of 2 properties with btl mortgages with my estranged wife. she is threatening to serve notice to one of the tenants and move into the property herself. the original contract was for six months and i recently found out she forged my signature, can she issue notice to the tenant without my consent.

1. Forging signatures is a criminal offence.......report it.

2. BTL mortgages do not normally allow non BTL residency.

3. The tenant(s) have security of tenure for the fixed term of the tenancy agreement. Notice can only take effect from the end of the tenancy agreement.

Inform your tenant to stay put and only to take notifications from yourself and not your partner.

Report your Partner for forging your signature on a legal document. She will only get a caution from the police but it may help to calm her down and make her back off.

Mel.

hi again

thanks for this, its really good advise and i am going to take it. i will let you know how i get on. i need all the help i can get as i firmly believe that she is suffering from bi-polar, her behaviour is so irrational at the moment, i won't go into too much detail about it but if she carries on down this route we will lose everything including the family home. i don't know what to do as nobody in the medical profession will listen. any advice on this will be great too

thanks again

dean

The advice you seek is closer to divorce advice rather than as LL.

Something I learned from watching situations was to separate financially, legally.

At the start of my 1st divorce my solicitor did this effectiviely meaning from that date she wasn't spending my money, debts created wouldn't be my responsibility. A bit more complicated with your 'shared' properties but here you need to protect yourself from potential claims against you as LL(s).

Effectively 1/2 the 'stuff' you have is hers. You need legal advice to protect your 1/2.

Archived