Light Bulbs

batemans

If a tenant requests an electrician to come out and fix a light fitting because she said it isnt working even though she has changed the bulb and when the electrician gets there it is because she was putting the wrong type of bulb in who would be responsible for the electricians call out charge the landlord or the tenant??

If a tenant requests an electrician to come out and fix a light fitting because she said it isnt working even though she has changed the bulb and when the electrician gets there it is because she was putting the wrong type of bulb in who would be responsible for the electricians call out charge the landlord or the tenant??

Tenant.......for being stupid! :D

No Tenant should have the automatic right to call anybody out unless approval has been obtained from the Landlord or their representatives.

Mel.

Tenant.......for being stupid! :D

No Tenant should have the automatic right to call anybody out unless approval has been obtained from the Landlord or their representatives.

Mel.

Sorry, should have been clearer, the tenant called to say the light wasn't working to the landlord agreed for an electrician to take a look. It then transpired that it was only the bulb so wasn't sure whether the invoice for the call out charge from the electrician should till be for the landlord to pay. My feeling is the tenant should but just needed clarification. (it is a very awkward tenant!!!)

cheers

Kim

I can't understand HOW its possible to actually fit the wrong bulb........can you give more information please ?

It was something to do with it being an inset spot light fitting for which there are different types of bulbs, the tenant put the wrong one in.

I'm not sure many if any LL's would g'tee lamps (bulbs if you like). Some of my properties have non usual lamps so I tell T's to let me know if they prefer as it's likely I can get replacements cheaper.

It follows in my mind that T's have responsibility to replace duff lamps, if they get that wrong it's their problem.

The T claimed the fitting to be faulty but was wrong, their mistake, their responsibility.

The defence of the T that they may not have known the correct lamp shouldn't have credibility as if the lamp was working previously then a reference to the detail of the lamp when removed should indicate the correct replacement, or ask.

This comes back to T's thinking they have checked into a Hotel and having no responsibilities.

It was something to do with it being an inset spot light fitting for which there are different types of bulbs, the tenant put the wrong one in.

Well that doesn't really answer the question.....its still somewhat vague. Inset spot lights have different end fittings depending on voltages so are not interchangable. We are no nearer to understanding how your tenant was able to screw up so, before anyone can make a judgement as to liability I think we need to FULLY understand what your tenant did.......or if your repair man is being straight with you.

I have a few lighting applications in my rentals that require a specific bulb. I make sure that the specific bulb is identified on the inventory.....type, make, wattage etc and inform the tenant that I always carry spares if they require a replacement and have difficulty obtaining one.

Guest caravanj

I can't understand HOW its possible to actually fit the wrong bulb........can you give more information please ?

It's easy to get the wrong bulb if the T didn't know what bulb it should have been. An inset spotlight can have numerous different bulbs but the wrong bulb can't be fitted into the wrong holder, with the possible exception of a GX being forced into a GU holder since the circlip would hold the bulb in place. The 12 volt bulb would then blow due to a 230 volt supply. - The UK hasn't had 240 volts for years now.

But the answer to your question may lie in the terms of most electrical guarantees which state that in the event of a warranty engineer visit that turns out to be a blown fuse or other fault of the consumer then a charge will be made.

Archived