Squatters!

Melboy

i did start a topic on this subject back in May but when we had the major forum upheaval it looks like all the old topics have disappeared.

Anyway I wrote to Grant Shapps Government Minister for housing etc. to express my anger at the great unwashed occupying a family home which was undergoing renovation and refusing to move out. They posted a notice on the door saying the law was on their side and any attempt to remove them they would resist and call the police ....or words to that effect.

In the meantime the owner was saddled with a huge legal & clean-up bill to get these people out and clear up the Scum's filthy rubbish and damage that they left behind.

Here is the reply I received today to my email.........

Dear Mr Melboy ( my real name changed to protect the innocent! )

Thanks you for your e-mail of 5 July (it was May!) to Grant Shapps. This has been forwarded to the Ministry of Justice which has responsibility for this area of the law. I have been asked to reply.

You asked about our current position in relation to squatting. The precise steps we take to address this issue will depend on the outcome of the consultation process. As you may be aware the consultation paper on options for dealing with squatting was published on 13 July on the Justice website at:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/consultations/dealing-with-squatters.htm

Criminalising squatting is one option that is included in the paper, but other options include expanding existing offences. The purpose of this consultation is to gather more information about the nature and extent of squatting in England and Wales; and to invite views on whether, and how, existing criminal and civil mechanisms should be strengthened. The consultation period will run until 5 October and we are happy to receive your views as part of this process. A paper summarising the responses to this consultation will be published in the Autumn.

Of course, we must also tackle problems affecting the wider housing market and bring more empty homes back into productive use. The Government intends to publish an Empty Homes Strategy over the summer and a wider Housing Strategy in the Autumn, setting out the overall approach to housing policy, including how we are supporting an increase in the supply and quality of new private and social housing, helping those seeking a home of their own, whether to rent or buy. The Government has already made available £4.5 billion to help deliver new affordable housing through the Affordable Homes Programme and as part of that £100 million to bring empty homes back into use.

Yvonne Murray

Criminal Law Policy Unit

Oh! how the wheels of common sense justice move soooo slowly eh!

Mel.

A disappointing reply Mel but along the lines of one I got from the Treasury regarding Equitable Life Pensions - it is almost as if they have a standard letter and alter it to suit the government office you have written to.

It's not just squatters it is the whole set up around housing/paying benefit/immigration/illegal drug use..........can't think any more right now.

What can we do apart from revolt? laugh.gif

PS I have just come across this http:/www.communities.govv,uk/news/newsroom/1959066

Mortitia

What can we do apart from revolt? laugh.gif

Mortitia

I am revolting enough Mortitia. :D

Can you imagine this happening in France eh! or any other civilised country....if it was uncivilised they would have been hung out on the nearest tree I reckon.

What he is saying is that we should be patient and wait for the empty houses to be available so that there is less need for squatting.

BUT squatters do this because it's a legalised freeby. To take a house by purchase or rent requires using dosh, squatters don't need to, and if they're lucky the niave may be lItigated on legal aid for illegal eviction and compensation for assault.

The initiative to bring empty homes back into use started many, many moons ago. In 1995 I bought a compulsory purchased empty house off my local council. They already have the means, the letter is twaddle.

The squatter fiasco was popular in Hippy days why are we expected to think 'their' consultation (of Christ knows how long) will make any difference.

Wait for a new buzz word from London, 'consultation' no longer has enough credibility to pacify.

I believe it is a quicker process to get squatters out than tenants.

You can apply for a Interim Possession Order using court forms N5 and N130 and the squatters have to leave within 24 hours and if they don't leave within 24 hours, they will be guilty of a criminal offense. You can then ask the police to arrest them. The courts will also a lot of the time act on your application quite quickly.

Or go down the normal trespass route using forms N5 and N121. I have been also informed you should get a court date quicker than you would with any s21 or s8 hearing.

Both processes cost £175.

I would like to add I have never used either of the above and the practicalities of actually doing it may be more difficult. Also I would imagine there would be a number of stalling tactics the squatters could use.

All info useful, we never know when we might need it.

But if we can demonstrate ownership,

and a squatter can't demonstrate a right to be there,

they are in possession of property they know not to be theirs, how the hell is that not theft.

Them intending to give it back one day shouldn't apply as while they are there the owner is deprived of it's use.

That ignores utilities, council tax, damage.........

Mind the same should apply to T's who don't pay, thieving gits.

Aaaah that feels better.

Guest caravanj

Quote:"Criminalising squatting is one option that is included in the paper, but other options include expanding existing offences. The purpose of this consultation is to gather more information about the nature and extent of squatting in England and Wales; and to invite views on whether, and how, existing criminal and civil mechanisms should be strengthened. The consultation period will run until 5 October and we are happy to receive your views as part of this process. A paper summarising the responses to this consultation will be published in the Autumn."

What the hell is there to consult about? One squatter is one too many!!

Quote:"Criminalising squatting is one option that is included in the paper, but other options include expanding existing offences. The purpose of this consultation is to gather more information about the nature and extent of squatting in England and Wales; and to invite views on whether, and how, existing criminal and civil mechanisms should be strengthened. The consultation period will run until 5 October and we are happy to receive your views as part of this process. A paper summarising the responses to this consultation will be published in the Autumn."

What the hell is there to consult about? One squatter is one too many!!

Pathectic isn't it?

I have been writing about this subject now for 5 years and approached Government Minister's and MP's and nothing but nothing has ever changed and from what I am seeing very unlikely to change. I did hope with Grant Shapps something would have happened with a new Minister but it doesn't look like this is going to happen does it? well, not to favour the innocent parties that is.

The only way that anti-social law gets changed in this Country is when it directly affects those that can do something about it.....the ruling classes....and No, I am not a left-wing Commie either.

In the unlikely event squatters invade my privacy or my rental property than I have declared myself to be a martyr and I am quite willing to go to jail for my rights and if I have to throw squatters off my property into the gutter where they belong then so be it.

Mel.

• 1 month later...

I think most people would agree with me that the law is an ass when it comes to the rights of squatters under English Law.

Squatters cause untold damage and misery to families and the law must be changed to bring it into line with Scottish Law.

I have been writing to Grant Shapps now for 6 months urging him to change the law to protect the innocent citizen but I have not even had a reply to my emails.

If anyone feels as strongly as I do about homeowners rights then would you please sign the Downing St. E-petition below that has been raised today in light of what has happened last week when a High Court Judge has given Squatters free range permission to break into any property without any recourse to eviction or arrest in the short term.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/626

If anyone is unsure about Squatters then please google 'Squatters' in property and read the harrowing stories about Squatters.

It could be you next!

Thank you..... Mel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

I can only hope that the Judges actions will accelerate the attention by Parliament that this situation badly needs.

Although the Judge may feel she has attacked the Council for having empty properties the free loading Squatter has been told it's good to possess any empty property.

Vacant rental property between T's,

your home while on holiday,

a second holiday home,

holiday lets between customers.........

With idiots like this being able to abuse their power in such a way what frickin chance have we got.

The only advice I could give in a situation where your property has been squatted is don't involve the Police, that just works against you.

We break the law and don't have knowledge the ignorance is no excuse, it's up to a judge to give discretionary leniency due to circumstance, in theory.

People are in a property, not theirs, with some excuse, how can they not be guilty of a crime.

If they are in a property without correct authority as a minimum they should have to explain themselves in court, it shouldn't be the problem of the owner.

Guest caravanj

We break the law and don't have knowledge the ignorance is no excuse, it's up to a judge to give discretionary leniency due to circumstance, in theory.

People are in a property, not theirs, with some excuse, how can they not be guilty of a crime.

If they are in a property without correct authority as a minimum they should have to explain themselves in court, it shouldn't be the problem of the owner.

Your car has the full protection of the law whilst your home doesn't !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just can't understand why they don't pass a law criminalising it, they passed a law making it illegal to have an uninsured car in your own garage quickly enough.

Squatters don't make any money for the Government, that's why they're ignored!

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting this oldy with a bit of a thought.

Please correct me where I am in error.

Squatters have no right of entry. The reason they get away with being there (not arrested) is because it's rarely possible to identify the culprit that carried out the act, then I assume others have been granted access, even if not by a legally authorised person.

We know that if the property becomes empty, even if for a short time, we can retake possession. Once out they don't have right of re-entry.

We don't have any 'legal' right to evict.

If we are able to gain access peacefully (as they often claim they did) I see no reason why we can't take up residence, shared if need be.

I also don't see reason why we can't authorise this for others of our choosing. Do squatters have a right to exclusive quite enjoyment ? I don't think so, they are there until proven that they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

You may see where I'm heading.

Such a situation is very unlikely to continue peacefully, if we cause aggression I expect we would be arrested,

likewise if they do they would be arrested.

If we employ an agent to take up shared residence we may be held as complicit if they act illegally.

The situation will erupt so evidence of the squatters being the aggressor/s is needed. Video apparatus is 10 a penny nowadays.

Any thoughts ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived