letting agents withholding rent payments

minx80

Hi, i have only been a lanlord for 3 months and looking for any advice possible. I decided to use a letting agent due to inexperience and now regretting so! The tenant i have has made punctional payments to the letting agent, yet, the letting agent has made 2 late monthly payments and one outstanding payment owed since last month. It has now been 6 weeks i have waited for my rent payment, yet when i have contacted the agents they are blaming the bank and claiming fault lies there. My tenant has showed me via online banking and statement that payment was prompt, but i have now incurred overdraft charges etc... as i am paying my morgage and rent for my accomodation in the meantime. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer to try resolve this asap. Much appreciated.

I'm sure other replies will follow.

My view sack 'em.

If they can't manage these finances (actually they probably are) they can't be trusted to manage the tenancy.

Check your contract with them, assuming there is one, for ways they can 'get you' and also they may effectively own the tenancy and I would imagine you want to keep that. If there is a contract they are surely not adhering to their own terms.

Check and be sure that any deposit taken has been protected as you would be liable if not.

Yes, totally unacceptable imo.

The last resort I guess is to get the tenant to pay you directly perhaps that will buck up the LA's ideas on how to run a LA business. Cash flow springs to mind here and their salaries which always seems to come first rather than the landlord being paid.

This sort of delay tactics is a warning bell really and I would ensure you have some protection over your dealings with this LA. Too many going bust these days with all the consequences that involves to the Landlord&Tenant.

Mel.

You need to sort this out now this could be the early warning signs of a rogue agent who is spending the client account for his own needs. Robbing Peter to pay Paul

Archived