Election

Grampa

Not that it will effect the outcome 

Labour have said that they “will immediately abolish Section 21 ‘no fault’ evictions, prevent private renters being exploited and discriminated against, empower them to challenge unreasonable rent increases, and take steps to decisively raise standards, including extending ‘Awaab’s Law’ to the private sector.”

The Conservative Party would bring back the Renters Reform Bill and abolish Section 21 with Liberal Democrats, and the Green Party making a similar commitment.

Reform, however have said they would drop the Renters Reform Bill entirely and abolish Section 24 of the Finance Act to enable landlords to claim 100% of their mortgage interest when filing their tax returns.

I view that Gove, watching Wales & Scotland, realised that the backlash from these new tenant protections is causing more housing issues than the local Gov't's can handle.

Another trap for Labour when they, like Wales, attempt to show how they know better.

Removal of no fault evictions, 6 months notice of whatever we are allowed (becoming more like 12 months come court day), rent controls (as Scotland went for), more stringent energy rating requirements, will all cause LL's to hoof from the industry at speed. But 'we' know that.

More tenants with nowhere to go (in the short to medium term at least), as LL's sell. How will Labour address that I wonder.

My decision is to vote Reform. In hope that Farage will have some voice in the HoC. I don't sing his praises as ideal. But he is the only one, as I se it, who will challenge Starmer as he manoeuvres us back into the eu subversively. Other opinions are available of course, and in our artificial democracy there is nowt wrong with that.

Never before in all my years of voting in any election, and it's been quite a few, have I felt that I just don't know who to vote for. It's a terrible choice on display. I can't abstain as I will have nobody to moan at when it all goes wrong. 😄

Awaab’s Law if anyone is curious require social housing landlords to adhere to strict time limits to address dangerous hazards such as damp and mould in their properties, and forms part of the Social Housing (Regulation) Act.

1. Damp and mould growth
2. Excess cold
3. Excess heat
4. Asbestos and MMF
5. Biocides
6. Carbon monoxide and fuel combustion products
7. Lead
8. Radiation
9. Uncombusted fuel gas
10. Volatile organic compounds
11. Crowding and space
12. Entry by intruders
13. Lighting
14. Noise
15. Domestic hygiene, pests and refuse
16. Food safety
17. Personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
18. Water supply
19. Falls associated with baths etc.
20. Falling on level surfaces etc.
21. Falling on stairs etc.
22. Falling between levels
23. Electrical hazards
24. Fire
25. Flames, hot surfaces etc.
26. Collision and entrapment

On 6/26/2024 at 1:26 AM, Melboy said:

Never before in all my years of voting in any election, and it's been quite a few, have I felt that I just don't know who to vote for. It's a terrible choice on display. I can't abstain as I will have nobody to moan at when it all goes wrong. 😄

And if you abstain you won't be to blame when things go wrong

I voted over a week ago but they keep telling me that July 4th is polling day. No, it's not. July 4th is the last day you can vote. Unfortunately nearly all the parties seem totally unaware of postal voting........I'd estimate 50% of my street voted last week. Approx 58% of the population use postal voting.

None of them managed to get a campaign brochure delivered in my street before the postal voting papers arrived. Consequently they have all forfeited the chance of persuading postal voters to vote for them. What a mess !

If they can't arrange to campaign properly how can they be trusted to run the Country ?

I emailed some of the parties complaining about the way their campaigns have ignored postal voting and the only party to respond was the British Democrats.

I have been bombarded with election leaflets over the past 2 weeks. 6 on Saturday!  What's also worrying and I have never seen before in any election are the 4 large election boards in neighbours gardens displaying their voting intent. This constituency is,  or at least was a dead cert Conservative safe seat and has been since Pitt the Younger was PM.

I don't think that is going to be the case come 4th July. What concerns me is not a Labour Government as such but the people behind the posters like one, Angela Raynor who, in my opinion, has the brain of a whelk and this person is going to be the mouthpiece of the left wing Momentum group.  God help us all especially landlords as she hates us.

3 hours ago, Melboy said:

Angela Raynor who, in my opinion, has the brain of a whelk and this person is going to be the mouthpiece of the left wing Momentum group.  God help us all especially landlords as she hates us.

But she's got big *its.

(Sir)Keir Starmer for one, Ed Miliband for another.

So you don't think that having been a landlord that she will have sympathy for us?

It looks like the world as we know it, is about to end. Life will of course continue but it'll be life, far, far different from what we know. Anyone who is able to abandon ship should go now before it's to late. It looks like as from Friday the inmates will be running the asylum. Landlords are likely to be selected for 'special' treatment. God help everyone !

I bet you if we revisit this place in 1 year from now it will be virtually unrecognisable.

I'm off to Spain......I may decide never to return.

On 6/30/2024 at 3:54 PM, Richlist said:

I'm off to Spain......I may decide never to return.

The grass is always....

'ang on they've got more sand.

Not wanting to chiss on your pips, but the eu is looking rather iffy in the foreseeable. It suffers and the member states take a dive.

What is sure is that all western states, countries, organisms are needing much more dosh from us. That'll pay for the wars ahead, and the growth of the central command. What's left for the plebs wont be so much.

But it's our youth that'll experience most of the new world order.

Spain ....where the sun always shines, the beaches are wonderfull, cost of living is 30% cheaper, there is no council tax, you can pick up a property for half the UK price, their football team looks better than ours and the bars are open until midnight. What's not to like ?

About 25 years ago I was asked by a Canadian organisation to help out and seek out some technical information for them in the UK. My contact Man and heading this organisation turned out to have a British accent so naturally I asked him how he ended up In Canada. He said that in 1964 when Labour PM Harold Wilson was elected into Government he packed his bags and emigrated to Canada and never looked back. I wonder how many people are packing their bags right now ready to go to Spain, Portugal, France etc.. to escape what is coming.  😀  

That is one of the best things to have come out in this election BUT don't forget this was the Westminster Parliament elections and not the Scottish elections where no doubt the SNP will probably gain more seats from their supporters.

It's taken 24 hours for me to recover enough from the election results to be able to post anything sensible!

Ok, Labour won but it wasnt all good news for them. The awful Jonathan Ashworth lost his seat and neither Diane Abbott nor Anneliese Dodds are in the Cabinet.

Now Labour have to deliver on all those promises and I can see it unravelling quite quickly. The normal measure is what they have done after the first 100 days. I can see numbers of boats arriving on the Kent coast increasing (best weather of the year July & August), I can't see them making any appreciable difference to NHS waiting times or significant improvements anywhere else cos there ain't any money left.

Dont forget the lovey David Lammy is now the foreign secretary. How that going to work out when Trumpy gets in? It is well know how thin skinned Trump is and Lammy has called him a neo-Nazi-sympathizing sociopath, dangerous clown and woman hating to name a few. 

Labour hid Lammy away during the election campaign. I suspect he will be binned on the first cabinet re-shuffle due to being a liability and an idiot.   

Oh, and how many days will it be before Labour state they cant deliver on their promises due to some perceived fault of the previous government.  

With regard to your last sentence.......The answer is it's taken Rachel Reeves 4 days to announce things will take longer cos the previous Gov' haven't left enough money.