tenant fails to pay last month rent, moves out, takes beds/mattresses and furniture from a managed flat (not noted by inventory company either)

Claire99

During covid spend's 9k replacing all floors, full electrics and paint plus new furniture.  Flat rented out via agent since to single parent and son.  No rent rises out of goodwill so have broken even in last year.  Tenant leaves having failed to pay last months of rent. Unreported leaking pipe as destroyed entire floor and skirting.  Complete replace and paint again plus pipes checked and will be written into contract to monitor.  However, photos from builder showing new floor indicate that two double beds, mattresses, side cupboards and under bed draws have all been taken by the tenant.  The inventory organised by the agent failed to highlight this.  My question is where do I go with this?  incompetence by agent and inventory people and theft of property by tenant.  What should I do as I am exceptionally angry and do not wish to act in haste?

You could sue the tenant, have they the funds to recompense?

You could sue the agent, but 'if' there is success the values will be written down due to wear and tear.

In each case you will expend effort and additional dosh in your attempt. The costs should be awarded in your favour, should be.

My view, w/o a deep study, is to complain where you can, threaten action to tune them in, and negotiate for whatever you can.

Then take it on the chin.

Ultimately the tenant is responsible for damage, rent arrears etc..  Is there a guarantor you can chase? You could ask for the agents complaint procedure and if not happy with the response escalate  it to the ombudsman scheme they belong to and if they rule in your favour they can award compo. 

However I doubt any award if any would be much because the tenant is at fault and even if you were warned earlier that furniture was missing would that have put you in a stronger position to claim from the tenant?  But you could try to claim the cost for the inventory if it wasnt fit for purpose and any other element of service you paid for but didn't receive. 

This probably won't help you much but it might give you someone else's perspective.

When I read your note all I could see were mistakes that I wouldn't have made....

* I certainly wouldn't let a newly refurbed property to a single mum & son.

* I wouldn't have furnished it & I wouldn't have supplied anything new.

* I wouldn't have failed to increase the rent.

* Regular inspection should have identified water leaks.

* I'd have taken Rent Guarantee Insurance or a home owning guarantor to cover missing rent.

* The landlord should be checking the Agents work......especially at check out. You have incorrectly assumed your Agent is going to do a good job.

* You picked a bad tenant and a bad Agent.

You have been unlucky but some of that is down to you.