Tenant Permission for Viewings

mad_maz

Hi

I have had a tenant in a property for the last four years, and we have had a good landlord / tenant relationship. He has given a months notice with 12 days of his tenancy still remaining.

Last week I conducted viewings with prospective tenants, with the current tenant present, and he stated that no viewings can take place without him being there. The property is completely empty and he is now living elsewhere so I feel that this is unreasonable.

I have more prospective tenants lined up to view, however the tenant works nights and is not always available (in fact telling me that no viewings can take place until Monday of next week, at a time to suit him) he is adamant that as he is still paying rent, no one can enter the property.

I would like to know what my rights are. The tenancy agreement states that:

"Permit the Landlords or the Landlord's agents at reasonable hours in the daytime within the last twenty-eight days of the tenancy to enter and view the Property with prospective tenants."

I have never come across this before, and usually tenants allow us to show people around whilst they are still living in the property with it fully furnished.

Can anyone please advise of the best solution, I have tried ringing the tenant but he will not answer the telephone. I sent him a text advising that we cannot put off viewings until Monday, and he texted back saying we could not enter.

Help!

My understanding of this situation is that as soon as the initial agreement runs out then he's gone, regardless of him giving the notice.

Don't worry about him being present for viewings, it shouldn't matter.

I'd pop a letter through the door a day before and say that you've arranged a viewing for the following day and if he wants to be present he can. Obviously wait until the 12 days are finished (which i'm guessing should be by now) and bugger him!!

Gareth

Horses ...Pigs .....now Buggering Tenants............ What are you thinking Gareth .....I'm getting a little concerned here ...Haha.

Mad maz

I would put a note thru the door stating date/time( on the basis that you phoned and there was no answer!) for viewing etc requesting a phone call if not convenient ....you probably wont get the call ......so just do the viewing .......

Simon

Ignore him! Shove a copy of the contract under his nose. As the property is empty and unoccupied he has little to complain about imo.

Tell him you are visiting the property to adhere to your property insurance requirements.....visits once a week to ensure everything is OK because no Tenant is in occupation.

Mel.

Hi Mad Maz,

Make sure you write to the tenant at least 24 hours before the viewing - giving them chance to attend if they wish - and then proceed with the viewing (with or without them).

The tenancy agreement is very clear and the tenant is not being reasonable.

Mark

Thank you all very much for the advice. The tenant decided that as we were being so 'unreasonable' he would terminate the tenancy there and then, so the problem was resolved.

I will retain your replies in case I am ever placed in that situation again.

Thanks

...........and it's good-bye to him mad maz...........next Tenant please! :D

God, you can see I have been a Landlord for far too long can't you! :blink:

Archived