force to pay for a service

ukbluebell

I was recently charged by my property management company for the installation of a carbon monoxide alarm. I am aware that there is a law requiring landlords to comply, but the installation was carried out without my knowledge (I only found out about it after I received the bill) and the agent admitted that this was an oversight on their part as there was no prior communication. However, as the work had been completed I still had to pay. I am really upset as I would have had the option to get a quote from elsewhere to see if the amount was reasonable. I would like to ask if anyone has had similar experiences with their agents in the past (forcing payment for something without prior notice)) and how it was handled, any advice would be highly appreciated!

The way I would look at it is yes the agent has made a mistake and mistakes do happen sometimes with big and small businesses. 

You would have to have  had one fitted anyway and the agent doing so was doing his duty in protecting your asset, your liability and complying with your legal obligations as a landlord. I would be more concerned if they didn't do it at all and it got forgotten about.

So the question is are you out of pocket? If so that is what you need to take up with the agent. 

Remember a contractor will have a minimum charge to visit a property even if the job takes 10 mins and there are numerous different types of carbon monoxide alarms and prices. So if doing a comparison  cost excise make sure it is like for like.

My Son carries at least 2 CO monitors on his van. He does carry out a lot of Landlord's gas boiler servicing and certification. If a quality monitor is supplied at the visit it is £20. If the landlord doesn't want it fitted ( for whatever that reason may be) it is recorded on the gas safety certificate.

UK bluebell management agent should have perhaps phoned and warned of the problem of not having one and the legal consequences etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm puzzled by the term 'installation'. Whilst I'm aware there is a requirement to have a CO alarm(s) in a property, I'm not aware of any requirement to have a co alarm 'installed'. Many of the alarms just require a single nail or screw in the wall and the alarm hung on the nail. I know people who don't even do that, they just stand the alarm on a shelf or other suitable horizontal surface. Poor show on their part......complete overkill.

However, had you signed a contract or agreement saying you would comply with all legal requirements and then failed to comply, I suspect they could justify taking the action they did.

Hopefully there aren't any other legal requirements (of which there are many) that you have failed to meet ?

On 5/5/2023 at 7:39 PM, Richlist said:

I'm puzzled by the term 'installation'. Whilst I'm aware there is a requirement to have a CO alarm(s) in a property, I'm not aware of any requirement to have a co alarm 'installed'. Many of the alarms just require a single nail or screw in the wall and the alarm hung on the nail. I know people who don't even do that, they just stand the alarm on a shelf or other suitable horizontal surface. Poor show on their part......complete overkill.

I disagree. If it was your own home yes, maybe but anything freestanding has a 50/50 chance of either getting packed when the tenant moves, getting damaged, the batteries removed or just lost. I always advise landlords to not provide remote heating controls for electric heaters or portable boiler thermostats that cam be moved from room to room. Its bad enough tracking down gas/electric top-up keys and instruction manuals as it is. Yes, these can all be charged for out of a deposit but I try to make my life easier.

Back of the subject of fitting/installing smoke and CO alarms we have started using nano tape to fit which is a really strong double sided tape and doesn't damage the wall/ceiling, its a  fantastic product. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Functional-Transparent-Reusable-Adhesive-Traceless/dp/B0B3XDLBYT/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=nano+tape&qid=1683475952&sr=8-5