EPC Rules.....Question

Richlist

An EPC may not be required if the landlord can demonstrate that any of the following applies:

• buildings officially protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historical merit, in so far as compliance with certain minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance; – (including a listed building, see page 6 DCLG guidance). Please have in mind listed buildings are NOT always exempt. It is only if certain energy improvements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance. How do you know what works would unacceptably alter the character or appearance if you haven’t obtained an EPC? What does “unacceptably altering” mean? Also, actually doing the EPC does not alter the character or appearance of the property! In our view, therefore, most listed buildings will require an EPC (or at least it’s safest to have one).

Well I assume replacement double or triple glazed windows/doors wouldn't be allowed, they probably can't have cavity wall insulation fitted (solid walls) and they couldn't have external wall insulation applied

The current minimum EPC requirement is an 'E' but in 2025 it's planned to be a minimum of 'C'.....although I believe the proposal is still making its way through parliament.

If listed buildings aren't exempt there is likely to be a few that won't achieve the requirements surely ?

My Daughter owns and lives in an 1840 Grade 2 listed building and she is exempt from EPC rulings should she ever want to sell or rent the property out.   Very strict rules on items like sash windows and any doors or windows that provide a character to the building.

A quick call to the planning office of your local Council should provide the answer.

I have a friend who has moved from a very smart modern property, following retirement, into a smaller much older, early Victorian property. It's has a wealth of character and design features including high ceilings & large rooms etc. But......it has sash windows, solid walls, costs a fortune to heat, is short on parking etc etc. I'm sure there are a large number of these older properties around the country where it would almost be more cost effective to knock them down and start again than to throw 10's of thousands of pounds at them raising their insulation values.