Decent Homes Standard Consultation

Grampa

The Government proposes introducing a new ‘Decent Homes Standard’ in the private rented sector in England.  A consultation has been announced which sets out the Government’s proposal for the new Standard and seeks views on how they could implement it. The Government apparently  is committed to ensuring that all homes in the private rented sector are fit for human habitation. 

Apparently over a fifth of the 4.4 million households that rent privately endure poor conditions and lack security and control over the homes they pay to live in.

The Decent Homes Standard would set a minimum home repair and maintenance level. The Standard would be enforceable by local authorities, who would have the power to impose sanctions on landlords who fail to meet it. The consultation is open to all interested parties and will close on 14 October 2022.

I thought the local councils already had the powers to enforce standards within the rental market but I guess they want to beef it up further.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/a-decent-homes-standard-in-the-private-rented-sector-consultation

Consultation BS.

It's merely the Gov't creating a non situation where they can tell the naive that they have done something useful.

Where local Gov't act on tenant complaints it's often that the cause is ignored and the LL will be threatened if remedial actions aren't carried out at speed. That's Manchester nearly 10 years ago.

Prior to Rent Smart(arsed) Wales an inspector actually did blame "tenant life style" and left me alone. Huzzah.

I haven't read the details yet.....I will do later when I have time.

My immediate response would be......If there are 900,000 properties around the country that provide poor conditions, let's hope they don't try to introduce changes/ demands/ legislation/timing etc that are onerous or to difficult for the landlords to action quickly. If they do they are likely to have a lot of very unhappy landlords and/ or a much larger group of people who have nowhere to live. After all it was the Conservative party that chose to sell off the council housing stock which has contributed to the current problems.

4 hours ago, bil8999 said:

If the property is that bad, due to how the tenant has been living, will the local council offer him/her alternative accommodation.

Nice thinking.

It would make the bringing of such properties up to standard easier. After all it looks like we'll never be able to re possess.

Does anyone see a point to the RLA these days?

18 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

Nice thinking.

It would make the bringing of such properties up to standard easier. After all it looks like we'll never be able to re possess.

Does anyone see a point to the RLA these days?

I've always thought Red Light Areas fulfil a worthwhile function although there are many who would disagree with me. 😉😉

Do you mean NRLA ?

4 hours ago, Richlist said:

I've always thought Red Light Areas fulfil a worthwhile function although there are many who would disagree with me. 😉😉

Do you mean NRLA ?

Well yeh it is National, or so they say.

I wondered if they are in France trying to get back to Blighted. They deserve a holiday I'm sure, but how many years have they been there.