Dishwasher Installation

adonaghy

My new tenant is requesting to be allowed to install a dishwasher. I advised her to use a tabletop one as no installation required. If I allowed this there would be space in kitchen  but side panel of a unit would need to be drilled so noticeable when removed. She’s reluctant to consider putting one in a clear space beside her washing machine in separate utility. I see it as unnecessary, has potential to cause water damage and she may stay for only a year . Any advice please?

We don't do dishwashers, never have or washing machines unless left by previous tenant. But, we do provide a space and the plumbing so the tenant can decide if they want one. If you have the type of property and attract the type of tenant who is likely to want/have a dishwasher then it makes sense to provide facilities. Only you know your property and type of tenant. A couple of holes for pipework in an end panel is easily covered neatly when/if not required. 

I'm with RL on this. I do not provide washing machines or dishwashers but the space and easy link up plumbing connects are all there for anybody wanting to install one. I stopped providing w/machines years ago due to tenant neglect mainly and I went through too many machines which was costly to me. It has never been a problem to me by not providing these appliances.

I've just remembered....... 😃  About 20 years ago I installed a brand new washing machine and a prospective tenant wanted the property but only if they could install their own washer dryer combined machine.

I don’t supply washing machine either as too much hassle and found tenants prefer to bring their own upright fridge freezer even though undercounted is in situ. I tend to aim for professional tenants but this single lady is actually the first to request this. Im looking in to how discreet the holes in cabinetry can be made and possibly covered if needed. I’ve said I’d like to see receipt as proof of professional installation at her cost if it goes ahead. Anything else I should add? Am I being over the top for example to mention she must remove it when vacating? Councils now charge for uplifts 

Why ask her to remove the item on vacating ?

It's going to cost you nothing, the incoming tenant might view a dishwasher as an incentive, let's face it, they are unlikely to want to bring their own and it's installation might mean you can squeeze another £25 a month.

I also dont provide appliances. However, I do have one flat and the only place to fit the washing machine was in the bathroom boxed in at the end of the bath. The trouble was the bathroom door needs to come off to remove/install so for I brought the cheapest possible washing machine from Currys but also paid the a lifetime insurance policy for it at £3 pcm. This means Currys send out an engineer to fix (including parts)and if it cant be repaired they replace for free though I acknowledge I will have to go and take the door off first.   

Its been there 8 years so far with only one call out and cost £288 in insurance so far. I'm still trying to work out if it was a good decision or not. 

When I started renting property I bought 3 flats within a few months of each other. I installed 3 brand new basic washing machines and bought extended warranties. Those machines lasted between 9-12 years without a single call out. In my own home we have a Bosch washing machine that is over 20 years old that has never had a problem although it wasn't cheap.

I think it's a matter of luck.