Solicitors fee

Suitcase

Hi everybody, I bought a property to rent out and now I’m doing my self assessment tax return.  Can I claim tax relief on the solicitors conveyances fees?  

thanks in advance

You haven't provided enough information for us to answer that question.

What date did you buy ? Has it already been let by you & when ? Did you need to carry out repairs/work before you let it ? Have you carried out any improvement works before, during or after letting ?

Tax returns arent easy if you want to do them correctly. 

Thanks for replying..I bought in December 2020..I let the people I bought it from stay there for a nominal rent until their new house was ready.. They left in May 2021.. I then carried out repairs including decorating, new carpets, replaced the old leaking boiler and repaired the structure of the twin garage..once the house was ready I let it to permanent tenants in August 2021..

thanks in advance

The cost of 'like for like'  replacements & repairs can generally be offset against revenue ie. income tax.

Any improvements eg. a better kitchen, any additions etc can only be offset against capital ie. CGT.

If any work involves improvement then the total cost (including any like for like) can only be offset against capital.

Repairing the structure of the garage sounds like the property needed work when you bought it. If so, the cost of that work is likely to be a capital expense and would be added to the purchase cost when calculating CGT on disposal.

Did the leaking boiler have a gas safety certificate from December 2020 ? 

Ok thanks for the info.. yes the leaky boiler had a gas safety certificate.. I had it done when I purchased the property..I replaced it before the full time tenants moved in..  

regarding the garage......when I bought the property, the wooden fascia on both ends of the garage were rotten and the next door neighbours complained it looked unsightly..so I replaced the wooden facia with upvc to make it look better..

thanks for the reply

Ok, I got the impression you had carried out structural work on the garage. Replacing facias & soffits are usually cosmetic changes that, in my mind are in the same group as decoration.

I would only have changed them if it suited me and i would have ignored any request from neighbours concerning my property. That's the trouble with some neighbours, they think they have a right to have others jump as soon as they say frog. Id now find at least half a dozen aspects of their property I don't like and complain to them about it........but that's me, I really don't like to be told to do anything. 

I think provided you had a formal contract with the tenants from Dec 2020 - May 2021 then the garage work, interior decor and like for like boiler sounds like it could be offset against income tax.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  One more question"...........is there a excel spreadsheet for landlords expenses that I could use..I'm not sure if HMRC require one or not..

thanks in advance  

The short answer is no.

Most of us have our own, mine has been developed over 20+ years. HMRC have only questioned my tax return once in all that time.....I sent them my spreadsheet which was accepted. HMRC won't necessarily expect an excel spreadsheet but you should keep records of how your expense claims break down in case they ask for more detail & a spreadsheet is a good way of doing it.

There is always the alternative of using an accountant for a couple of hundred pounds.

• 1 month later...

You can find out this information at any law firm. However, rental housing is a strong investment tool. With this payment, you will compensate by rental income. It is important to understand that this method has a longer payback period. That’s why I turned to Mortgage Advisor York two months ago. It is also noted that the highest income from the purchase of a real estate for rent can be obtained in the segment of luxury housing and business-class apartments. There is always a demand for such real estate.