Will this be mandatory

kanrent

I haven't read the whole link. But, apart from doing tax returns digitally as opposed to paper returns it's also, more importantly, really about keeping digital records which for many of us is likely to be more of an impact than the actual tax return itself. I suspect a very large proportion of us already do our returns online, I certainly do. But I often do the preparation etc on paper and that's what is going to need a change on my part.

If you employ an accountant I suggest you talk to them about what they intend to do, how they see their responsibilities, what they expect from you and how it will work in reality.

We know someone who hands his accountant a shoe box of paper receipts every year for his tax returns......I suspect his bill will rise significantly unless he starts to be a little more proactive.

6 hours ago, Richlist said:

We know someone who hands his accountant a shoe box of paper receipts every year for his tax returns......I suspect his bill will rise significantly unless he starts to be a little more proactive.

As someone you doesn't do their own account as I have family who are accountants I can confirm many companies and sole traders do just dump off a box or tesco carrier bag of receipts off at their accountant. (me not being one). Also  amongst the receipts will be a lot of personal expenses just chucked it as well which have to be discounted and separated. 

But as we know you can be the best bricky or sparky in the world but it doesn't make you a good businessman.